It is currently April 16th, 2024, 3:50 am

Gadgets 7.6.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 7.1.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

Rometas wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:28 pm Thank you. I had set the Ethernet Interface field to my physical adapter and used pro with NetMonitor, all was fine. When changing to nonpro with NetMonitor all was fine, too. With stopped NetMonitor I got doubled values. Now with that manual I deleted the Ethernet Interface field, all 3 fields are now empty. But I still got doubled values. What did I forget to do now?

Edit: Now it seems to double even with NetMonitor. Only Pro now works.
Something doesn't sound right, or perhaps I am confused... the "Pro" version requires the NetMonitor service to report network stats, it does not use Rainmeter's network measures at all. Turning off NetMonitor will also cause it to stop reporting any activity.

The non-Pro gadgets will work without defining any adapters, but may result in doubled activity. These gadgets do not use the NetMonitor service at all, only Rainmeter measures.

Does this make sense? You definitely should define your physical adapters if you want to avoid doubled values.

Also, I will need to look into this some more, because I am noticing errors in the log that are new with the latest version of Rainmeter. I might need to push out a patch. :(
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Rometas

Post by Rometas »

It does not make any difference if I set "Ethernet Interface" to "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" or to leave the field empty. I allways get doubled value (with NetMonitor disabled or enabled in nonpro).

Pro with NetMonitor enabled works fine.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Rometas wrote: September 13th, 2021, 1:48 pm It does not make any difference if I set "Ethernet Interface" to "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" or to leave the field empty. I allways get doubled value (with NetMonitor disabled or enabled in nonpro).

Pro with NetMonitor enabled works fine.
Huh, that is interesting... From what you describe, that sounds like it could be a bug in Rainmeter. I have not noticed this behavior myself, but I will do some testing tonight to see if I can duplicate what you are seeing.

The best test may be to edit the simple Illustro network skin to check if the problem is in Rainmeter or in the Gadgets. In the Illustro Network.ini skin, find the two measures [measureNetIn] and [measureNetOut] and change them as follows:

Code: Select all

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
Interface="Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller"
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#

[measureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
Interface="Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller"
NetOutSpeed=#maxUpload#
This will force Rainmeter to report only this adapter... hopefully! Also, change the two AutoScale=1 settings in the meters to AutoScale=1k to make the two skins show the same numbers. It's going to be difficult to compare the two skins since the output depends on timing, but they should match in general.

If you are getting doubled values with this modification, then there may be a problem in Rainmeter. If you don't get doubled values with Illustro, then perhaps I made a mistake in the non-Pro Network skins.
Rometas

Post by Rometas »

Thank you. I tested Illustro and it shows me 12.5MB which is 100Mbit, so this works correctly.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Rometas wrote: September 13th, 2021, 3:00 pm Thank you. I tested Illustro and it shows me 12.5MB which is 100Mbit, so this works correctly.
OK, I think I found the problem. It seems to only happen if you don't define at least one physical adapter (i.e., you leave everything blank). I know you were reporting otherwise, but I can't duplicate that behavior.

Anyway, it looks like the recent SysInfo changes in Rainmeter aren't accounted for properly by the Network Meter skins. I'll need to make some changes and push out a patch. Thank you for reporting!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 7.1.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

A minor update to the Gadgets has been released!

7.1.1 - 2021-09-18
  • Corrected All CPU Meter regression issues where total CPU/RAM/Swap usage would not be shown when using Windows 7. :oops:
  • Corrected Network Meter regression issue where monitoring could report incorrect values if no adapters were configured.
  • Corrected NetMonitor service to prevent crash caused by rare case where duplicate (invalid) network adapters exist. (Upgrading the service is optional.)
Get it on GitHub: https://github.com/SilverAzide/Gadgets/releases/latest

Requires Rainmeter 4.5.1 or later.

NOTE for those who use the Network Meter Pro and Wireless Meter Pro skin variants: The NetMonitor service has been updated in this release. Upgrading the service is optional.
Rometas

Post by Rometas »

Thank you. Now Network nonpro works correctly.

BUT: If I change the updates from 1000 to 2000ms (Update=2000), the network values up and down are doubled again. How could this be?

And does this also affect CPU und GPU meter? I always use Update=2000, because I don't want to eat much CPU-time by Rainmeter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Rometas wrote: September 19th, 2021, 8:48 am Thank you. Now Network nonpro works correctly.

BUT: If I change the updates from 1000 to 2000ms (Update=2000), the network values up and down are doubled again. How could this be?

And does this also affect CPU und GPU meter? I always use Update=2000, because I don't want to eat much CPU-time by Rainmeter.
Hello! I'm glad it is working for you now, and sorry for the issues earlier. I'm not sure about the doubling with Update=2000, but the Rainmeter manual says this:
Per Second

The measured value is the number of bytes per second, factored by the total update rate of the measure, as defined by the Update option for the skin and any UpdateDivider option on the measure. Since the usual display of network traffic is in bytes per second, it is advisable to either set Update=1000 in the [Rainmeter] section of the skin, or add UpdateDivider options to NetIn / NetOut / NetTotal measures so they are updated once a second. Updating these measures at a rate other than once a second will return results that are confusing at best.
So I would suggest not changing the update rate in this case. What you seem to be seeing is Rainmeter showing you traffic in "bytes per 2 seconds", which would cause them to be doubled... and which is really confusing.

One other option is to use the "Pro" variants, as they will report values in "bytes per second" regardless of the update rate on the skin. (In other words, changing these skins to Update=2000 will just cause them to show every other value the NetMonitor service records; i.e., skipping every other one.)

Regarding the CPU and GPU skins, changing the update rate on these should not have any effect, as they are not reporting anything on a "per second" basis that I can recall.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Rometas wrote: September 19th, 2021, 8:48 am Thank you. Now Network nonpro works correctly.

I just thought of another trick you can try. Leave the update at Update=1000, but add DefaultUpdateDivider=2. That will cause all the measures and meters to update once every 2 seconds. But then, the important part, find every "Net" measure in the skin and add UpdateDivider=1 to them. So they will still update once per second, but the overall skin will update once per two seconds.

I did not try this, so it might not work.
Rometas

Post by Rometas »

Thank you.
OK, then I will stay with network pro, because as I would have to updates all these settings after each update, which does not make any sense.