It is currently March 19th, 2024, 8:59 am

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 6.1.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:40 am hey, could you pls help me, i'm getting stuck on trying to get chart to show correct sensors on the corresponding CPU.

I first duplicated CPU meter and have a 2nd meter, call it ALL CPU METER2.ini. it still loads everything else the same but in that file I replaced all "CPU0" with "CPU1" and then refresh the meter, still no luck, both meter show loads the same on same processor.

in 2nd screenshot I compare HWINFO.inc side by side, the CPU1 and CPU0 values are both the same?

not sure what I am missing here.
Sure, I can try to help. It looks like you've duplicated the skin correctly and renamed all the variables properly, so all seems OK there. However, from the partial screenshot you posted of the HWiNFO.inc file, it appears you have not remapped the HWiNFO sensor IDs to the proper CPU. Both sets of CPU0/CPU1 variables are all pointing at CPU #0 sensors.

To clarify what I mean, notice the line HWiNFO-CPU1-DTS-SensorInstance=0x0 in the comparison right pane. This is the same as the left side. I am just guessing, but I bet that should be HWiNFO-CPU1-DTS-SensorInstance=0x1, or something like that. You need to make sure your HWiNFO mappings are pointing at the proper CPU instance (per the Shared Memory Viewer).

Let me know how it goes!
As an aside, unless you need to stick to using the old HWiNFO, you might want to upgrade and make these changes to the 6.x Gadgets (requires HWiNFO 7.x, however). They properly report CPU utilization when using boost mode, and especially if you ever use NUMA mode with your CPUs. I've also taken a few preliminary steps to making the CPU Meter work with dual sockets, in that all you need to change in the second CPU Meter skin is a single variable (just set CpuIndex=1). You'll still need to rework the LUA code, but it is essentially the same changes.
:)
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 24th, 2021, 3:04 am Sure, I can try to help. It looks like you've duplicated the skin correctly and renamed all the variables properly, so all seems OK there. However, from the partial screenshot you posted of the HWiNFO.inc file, it appears you have not remapped the HWiNFO sensor IDs to the proper CPU. Both sets of CPU0/CPU1 variables are all pointing at CPU #0 sensors.

To clarify what I mean, notice the line HWiNFO-CPU1-DTS-SensorInstance=0x0 in the comparison right pane. This is the same as the left side. I am just guessing, but I bet that should be HWiNFO-CPU1-DTS-SensorInstance=0x1, or something like that. You need to make sure your HWiNFO mappings are pointing at the proper CPU instance (per the Shared Memory Viewer).

Let me know how it goes!
As an aside, unless you need to stick to using the old HWiNFO, you might want to upgrade and make these changes to the 6.x Gadgets (requires HWiNFO 7.x, however). They properly report CPU utilization when using boost mode, and especially if you ever use NUMA mode with your CPUs. I've also taken a few preliminary steps to making the CPU Meter work with dual sockets, in that all you need to change in the second CPU Meter skin is a single variable (just set CpuIndex=1). You'll still need to rework the LUA code, but it is essentially the same changes.
:)
hey thanks for checking. does this apply to all the 0x0 IDs? that simply a change to 0x1? because some core temp are 0x000006 so im not sure what to do there.

also I understand its the missing/wrong link to ID, but how can I find the right ID to start with? is there a file that store these value?
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

ok found out something wrong, not sure if its because dual CPU causing this.

by default, fresh install of gadgets 6.1.1 and default CPU meter. the temps and frequency is on CPU0, but the usage (load/status bar) is on CPU1.

I did a test with some benchmark and monitor it with Hwinfo, temp and clocks of CPU0 reflects on the gadgets but shows 0 usage. not sure where to begin fixing this lol

EDIT:
ok made some progress but stuck at a few things and unsure where to locate these to change, please have a look at this video.

https://streamable.com/rddt2q

in the video, I am using another software called throttlestop to control CPU0 and CPU1 individually by setting affinity. when CPU1 is running, you can see both meters 0 (right side) and meter 1 (left side) have usage bar but in reality only CPU1 is running. video shows Hwinfo CPU1 and 0 usage as well as the temp on meter 0 doesnt change at all even when theres load.

vice versa using 2nd instance of throttlestop to control CPU1, load doesn't show but temperature increases due to load on meter 0. I am stuck here and I tried changing a bunch of value doesn't seem to reflect at all.

another part im stuck at, is the title of meter. meter 0, I input "CPU 0 Meter" and it shows correctly, in the same field for other CPU meter (a different .ini file), :CPU 1 Meter" but it just doesn't change. removing the category does remove the name/title so im not sure whats going on.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 24th, 2021, 3:20 am hey thanks for checking. does this apply to all the 0x0 IDs? that simply a change to 0x1? because some core temp are 0x000006 so im not sure what to do there.

also I understand its the missing/wrong link to ID, but how can I find the right ID to start with? is there a file that store these value?
Whoa, whoa, whoa... hold up a sec.

For the 5.x Gadgets (or any skin that uses HWiNFO 6.x), you must use the Shared Memory Viewer (SMV) to configure the skin. Based on your question, it seems like you have not done this; it is critical that you get this working first. There are very detailed instructions at the top of the HWiNFO.inc file, and you MUST follow them exactly. Using the instructions and the Shared Memory Viewer, you can configure the skins to show temps, fans, etc. The SMV is opened by clicking the HWiNFO icon in the Settings skin.

For the 6.x Gadgets, the configuration of the skin and HWiNFO 7.x settings is much simpler. You must follow the instructions here and here. Don't skip any steps, and if you don't understand something, feel free to post your questions here and I (or someone) will be happy to help.

Once you get everything working with the CPU Meter, only THEN should you proceed to get a second skin working (or modify the main one). You must have a firm grasp of the concepts here (mapping HWiNFO sensors to Rainmeter measures, logical vs. physical CPUs, etc.) otherwise you are going to have a difficult time.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 24th, 2021, 4:12 am ok found out something wrong, not sure if its because dual CPU causing this.

by default, fresh install of gadgets 6.1.1 and default CPU meter. the temps and frequency is on CPU0, but the usage (load/status bar) is on CPU1.

I did a test with some benchmark and monitor it with Hwinfo, temp and clocks of CPU0 reflects on the gadgets but shows 0 usage. not sure where to begin fixing this lol

EDIT:
ok made some progress but stuck at a few things and unsure where to locate these to change, please have a look at this video.

in the video, I am using another software called throttlestop to control CPU0 and CPU1 individually by setting affinity. when CPU1 is running, you can see both meters 0 (right side) and meter 1 (left side) have usage bar but in reality only CPU1 is running. video shows Hwinfo CPU1 and 0 usage as well as the temp on meter 0 doesnt change at all even when theres load.

vice versa using 2nd instance of throttlestop to control CPU1, load doesn't show but temperature increases due to load on meter 0. I am stuck here and I tried changing a bunch of value doesn't seem to reflect at all.

another part im stuck at, is the title of meter. meter 0, I input "CPU 0 Meter" and it shows correctly, in the same field for other CPU meter (a different .ini file), :CPU 1 Meter" but it just doesn't change. removing the category does remove the name/title so im not sure whats going on.
Very cool video! It looks like you have the temps working. Now you are getting to the hard part.

The behavior you are seeing is because the both skins are most likely only monitoring CPU #0. The CPU Meter skin configures itself using a Lua script. This Lua script deals with logical cores, not physical cores. It configures all the CPU, temp, and fan measures based on which 3rd-party monitor you have. The Lua code loops through all your logical cores (starting with 0 and going to 63), so you would need to alter all this logic so it loops based on the physical socket, NUMA node, etc. This is not trivial, which is why I have not done it already.

For your own custom skins, I'd suggest you don't use the Lua -- just configure the skins for HWiNFO only, and alter them so they display your cores based on which sockets they are for. In other words, just use the HWiNFO measures (delete/ignore all the CoreTemp and SpeedFan stuff). For "CPU 0 Meter", enable the measures that correspond to cores 0 to 27 (in your case). For "CPU 1 Meter", enable the same measures but change them to report on cores 28 to 55 -- in other words, [MeasureCPU1] should point to core 28 (not core 0).

Just as a suggestion, it would be much simpler if you did not try to create two socket-based skins. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it would be much much easier for you to simply add a second graph to the existing skin. That way the Lua code and all the logic can remain intact. The only thing you would need to change is which cores show on which graph. To do this, find the variable BgHeight; change the "46" value (which is the height of the grid image) to "92" or "46 * 2" (whichever you want). This will add space for a second graph (you might need to add a pixel or two later to adjust any spacing). Find the [MeterGraphBackground] meter, and create a duplicate (with a different name, like MeterGraphBackground2) and place it AFTER all the Line meters (due to relative positioning). Set the Y value of this new meter to Y=(#GridPosY# + 46). Then move the meters [MeterLineCore64] to [MeterLineCore29] after this new graph meter. Change/add the Y value for the MeterLineCore64 meter to Y=1r so it is positioned on the second graph (you don't need to fix all the line meters, just the first one, due to relative positioning). When you are done, cores 1-28 will show on the first graph, cores 29-56 will show on the second (cores 57-64 will not show since they are not present). I'd try this first, and if you don't like it, THEN I'd try to go the two-skins route. (Which does look very cool, LOL.)

Here is an example what I mean. This took like 2 minutes to do, so it's not perfect, but it's the easy way.
Attachments
All CPU Meter - Dual28CoreXeon.zip
(17.42 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 24th, 2021, 1:13 pm
hey thanks a lot of helping me check into it. I do agree with you the two graphs look pretty awesome lol.

I tried out changing the values you mentioned with no luck, probably just me not understanding the code/layout. but I gave it a try with the new meter code and some unexpected behavior is happening LOL. heres another video: https://streamable.com/5kayvn

the one more transparent is the new .ini duo xeon one, so Im trying to compare that and the old CPU meter to see what you did but the usage bar showing correctly now which is huge, now the temps aren't showing for some reason LOL. I'll try editing this new ini to get the layout similar to the other one but it is still only showing 28 cores/threads for some reason.

EDIT:
ok some update, looks like really weird things going on here. take a look at this video: https://streamable.com/9k698u

for ease of use I created a simple batch file with commands to restart rainmeter rather than refresh, as refresh sometimes don't update, but restarting program does.

taskkill /F /IM rainmeter.exe
start /min "" "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe"

as you can see from the video, each time I restart without changing the codes, the duo xeon .ini would sometimes show the wrong CPU usage and sometimes reverts to the correct usage. in the first video it must have been showing the correct one so I didnt catch it till later.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 24th, 2021, 10:14 pm
I'm not sure I understand what the videos are showing, but there are a lot of problems. I don't understand what's up with that transparent skin with the graph at the top; is that one you created? If that is the skin I posted above, then it looks like the variables that control the positioning and maybe the core count are all messed up. I'm not sure what is going on, too many things are changed. The CPU usage isn't showing properly because the measures that show the core usage are not configured correctly; but a video doesn't give me enough info to tell you what to fix. I need to see code.

Maybe the best bet is to package up your skins and post them here. Don't leave anything out, I'll need the CPU Meter skins and all the dependencies.

Also let me know what you are trying to do: do you want a separate skin for each socket, or do you want one skin with two graphs?
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 25th, 2021, 12:12 am I'm not sure I understand what the videos are showing, but there are a lot of problems. I don't understand what's up with that transparent skin with the graph at the top; is that one you created? If that is the skin I posted above, then it looks like the variables that control the positioning and maybe the core count are all messed up. I'm not sure what is going on, too many things are changed.

Maybe the best bet is to package up your skins and post them here. Don't leave anything out, I'll need the CPU Meter skins and all the dependencies.

Also let me know what you are trying to do: do you want a separate skin for each socket, or do you want one skin with two graphs?
this graph is the one I downloaded "All CPU Meter - Dual28CoreXeon.ini". it's showing like that for some reason.

the video, this link https://streamable.com/9k698u showing each time I restart rainmeter, the "All CPU Meter - Dual28CoreXeon.ini" will change it's usage randomly.

I'll try a bit more, I feel that its so close but once I run out of options I'd need help lol, really appreciate your help!

EDIT:
ok so found out what maybe the issue. take a look at this one https://streamable.com/pxapvw

each time I restart rainmeter, it's affinity to whichever CPU is auto selected by im assuming OS. it looks like the original two CPU meters I have are both being affected by whichever CPU that rainmeter.exe is assigned to. where as your "All CPU Meter - Dual28CoreXeon.ini" is unaffected clearly showing load for either CPU, which is the right direction.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 25th, 2021, 12:20 am
:confused: I'm not sure what to tell you. I can't tell anything from the videos; I just see stuff moving around with no idea what you are doing. I have no idea why the affinity of the Rainmeter process would affect anything. Without the code I'm not sure how I can help. Perhaps some of the behavior you are seeing could be due to running (or not running) in NUMA mode?
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 25th, 2021, 12:51 am :confused: I'm not sure what to tell you. I can't tell anything from the videos; I just see stuff moving around with no idea what you are doing. Without the code I'm not sure how I can help. Some of the behavior you are seeing could be due to running (or not running) in NUMA mode.
alright im defeated. tried a bunch of thing with no progress =(

I have attached the CPU meter and CPU meter 2 .ini files as well as hwinfo1&2 .inc files. one thing I did notice was in your duo xeon.ini, it uses totalcores, where as in the meter im using it uses hiddencores.

guess difference between 5.5.1 and 6.1.1 maybe causing problems. or hwinfo version im using 6.34300

edit:
ok so updating Hwinfo to 7.05.4495, Rainmeter to 4.4 Beta to as well as using Gadgets 6.1.1 solved the issue with duo Xeon .ini, the only thing that isn't working now is the per core temperature, not sure what else to change to fix this.
Attachments
All CPU Meter 1&2 and HWiNFO 1&2.rar
(32.57 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
clipboard-00.png