It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:49 pm

Gadgets 7.6.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
emp00

Re: Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by emp00 »

Yincognito wrote: October 10th, 2023, 2:47 am
Cool ideas, thanks for your contributions! You mention that there's an interface AutoIt <-> Rainmeter. Here's also a solution for Autohotkey <-> Rainmeter: Commanding Rainmeter with AHK (and vice versa) and one more concrete skin <-> AHK example.

The TCPView Autohotkey script (tracking the complete TCPv4 and v6 connections including resolving hostnames) showed no visible CPU load on my machine. Generally, AHK is extremely resource-efficient - all my AHK scripts (I have quite a few running including loops with various background checks independent from regular hotkey-scripts) are never visible in my Top5 CPU process monitor (=Gadgets CPU meter :D ) while Rainmeter.exe is always visible there with a constant 1-2% CPU load (running Gadgets CPU, Drives + Network skin and a modified RSS reader, weather and a custom-made medical tracking skin). So using Autohotkey for pulling the Top5 network connections incl. resolving hostnames should be very resource-friendly. I'm a hobbyist with just 1 year AHK v2 experience, willing to contribute. However, for hooking into those MS functions: new to me, would need to deep-dive and "learn by doing". The AHK forum community is usually very helpful and agile to find solutions to any scripting problems, so this could be an approach. Anybody else here supporting this or would you rather go for AutoIt or something else? I know AutoIt it's similar to AHK but I have no experience at all.

Regarding Windows 7 support - well, those machines hopefully anyway are not connected to the internet any more, so why should they need a network connection monitor? Honestly... Ok, there might be very specific applications in an isolated private network but this should not stop us from developing such a meter. It's just another optional feature, so the skins still run on Win 7 machines.

@SilverAzide: "Not possiböe" was your first reaction and follow-up feedback war also focused on disadvantages and risks. You're not convinced yet, right? What do you say, how can we make this happen? I'd say "never give up - everything's possible" :rosegift:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

emp00 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 6:59 pm Cool ideas, thanks for your contributions! You mention that there's an interface AutoIt <-> Rainmeter. Here's also a solution for Autohotkey <-> Rainmeter: Commanding Rainmeter with AHK (and vice versa) and one more concrete skin <-> AHK example.
That helps, thanks. The thing here is that the said script (which would be the majority of the code in such an approach) is already written in AutoHotkey, so, unless grabbing the continuous netstat equivalent from an AutoIt script, it's less work to just "translate" the AutoHotkey <-> Rainmeter interaction to .AHK than translating the whole aforementioned .AHK script to an .AU3 one. The CPU usage thing is real though, the script might have a leak somewhere, since although it starts ok, the usage starts to rise from around 2% to 4% and then 8% on the exact moments of update, after I maximized the window beforehand (I set it to resolve addresses and to update every 2 seconds in my tests, so it was one second no usage, the other second that rising usage).
emp00 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 6:59 pm @SilverAzide: "Not possiböe" was your first reaction and follow-up feedback war also focused on disadvantages and risks. You're not convinced yet, right? What do you say, how can we make this happen? I'd say "never give up - everything's possible" :rosegift:
I don't think SilverAzide is in the impossible camp - believe me, I would have known that, since I'm in everything is possible camp myself, and quite vocal about it, lol. I think he's just looking for a stable, solid and direct way to do this, and in principle he is correct, as there isn't one, yet. Even the netstat or the script variants, beside the dependencies they create, are still not producing the desired output available in the Windows Resource Monitor, so apart from grabbing a torrent with the Windows 10 source code to investigate how that is done as an inspiration for a Rainmeter plugin, there aren't many such out of the box avenues, unfortunately.

In any case, there are more than one Rainmeter users looking to achieve this (including myself). Personally, I can guarantee that such an attempt will be present in my skin suite evntually, I just can't guarantee when, as I'm not one that updates it frequently or sets deadlines for it, not to mention other issues I have to solve when doing that as well. In my opinion, I wouldn't want to interject too much in a topic that SilverAzide would probably want to reserve for issues directly related to his suite, so maybe a specific thread for it (where anyone could share their thoughts about it if they want so, and move the existing posts related to it there) would be more desirable. :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 6:59 pm @SilverAzide: "Not possiböe" was your first reaction and follow-up feedback war also focused on disadvantages and risks. You're not convinced yet, right? What do you say, how can we make this happen? I'd say "never give up - everything's possible" :rosegift:
Well, I don't think I said it was "not possible" exactly, but I'm pretty sure I did say it was "not possible for me", LOL... :lol:

But I've scanned the links you posted and I can almost grasp how this can be done now that the needed Win APIs are identified.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

An overview of some variants, including PowerShell, at:
https://www.libe.net/network-connections

The problem with these approaches is capturing a continuous real-time / live STDOUT result to pass it to a Rainmeter skin, and since RunCommand can't do it and scraping a log file is not wanted, an .AHK / .AU3 script that can bang back to the skin would still be the better option.

Also, I think the last variant there could be the way Windows Resource Monitor is doing it, but although it can be used from the command line, I didn't find a process connections example, only CPU stuff.

EDIT: A more detailed PowerShell approach at:
https://woshub.com/get-nettcpconnection-windows-powershell/

Not sure if turning it to a Windows service like mentioned towards the end of the page would help with the Rainmeter interaction, but it's interesting nevertheless. Of course, none of the above would give the traffic amount and the destinations will be wrong in some cases, so it's still incomplete from my point of view.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
bigaurey

Re: Gadgets 1.7.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadge

Post by bigaurey »

SilverAzide wrote: August 12th, 2015, 10:40 am For v1.7.0:
Added GPU Meter gadget.
Added "All CPU Meter (for HWiNFO)" gadget variant.
Corrected scaling issues with Calendar gadgets (thanks to TGonZo)
Is the scaling issue here meaning when you increase the overall scale of the calendar gadget, that then when you hover over a holiday the text box is larger? That's what I am looking for a way to do, very very new to this stuff
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

bigaurey wrote: October 24th, 2023, 7:23 pm Is the scaling issue here meaning when you increase the overall scale of the calendar gadget, that then when you hover over a holiday the text box is larger? That's what I am looking for a way to do, very very new to this stuff
This was written more than 8 years ago; a lot has changed since then. But in this case, the "scaling issue" refers to the size of the skin only. Hovering over a date (holiday or otherwise) will not change anything other than showing a tooltip.
bigaurey

Post by bigaurey »

SilverAzide wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:50 pm This was written more than 8 years ago; a lot has changed since then. But in this case, the "scaling issue" refers to the size of the skin only. Hovering over a date (holiday or otherwise) will not change anything other than showing a tooltip.
Ahh okay. Would it be possible to do anything with that tooltip?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

bigaurey wrote: October 24th, 2023, 11:55 pm Ahh okay. Would it be possible to do anything with that tooltip?
Anything is possible! But the tooltip is just a standard Windows tooltip, so nothing much more you can do with that. You could replace it with your own tooltip that you create using Rainmeter; it all depends on how much effort you are willing to put in.
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

Hey again! Long time no see. I recently upgraded my GPU and since the (at the time still using) IDs for the GPU sensors changed, I figured I should update the suite of gadgets and HWiNFO as well.

After wrapping my head around the new Index system and grumbling at the dense decision about limiting certain functions for the free edition I got it all working again, but there is an issue. It seems HWiNFO reports my GPU RPM as twice the actual value (versus the one reported by the Nvidia overlay) and I can't seem to find anything about this bar a few very old bug reports on their forum that were presumably since fixed.

Since I don't use HWiNFO for anything other than your Rainmeter widgets, is there any way I can just divide by 2 the result received and displayed by the widgets?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

VL4DST3R wrote: November 14th, 2023, 1:06 am Hey again! Long time no see. I recently upgraded my GPU and since the (at the time still using) IDs for the GPU sensors changed, I figured I should update the suite of gadgets and HWiNFO as well.

After wrapping my head around the new Index system and grumbling at the dense decision about limiting certain functions for the free edition I got it all working again, but there is an issue. It seems HWiNFO reports my GPU RPM as twice the actual value (versus the one reported by the Nvidia overlay) and I can't seem to find anything about this bar a few very old bug reports on their forum that were presumably since fixed.

Since I don't use HWiNFO for anything other than your Rainmeter widgets, is there any way I can just divide by 2 the result received and displayed by the widgets?
Hello! Glad you were able to get things working again. Sorry for the pain (not much I can really do about it), but at least you only have to go through it once.

You can tweak the skin to divide the RPM by 2. Kind of weird, but... ya gotta do what ya gotta do, eh? Open the GpuMain.inc file and look for a measure that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[CalcGPUFan1Rpm]
Measure=Calc
Formula=MeasureGPUFan1Rpm
...etc.
There are 4 of these, but I assume you only care about fan #1. Change the formula like so:

Code: Select all

Formula=Round((MeasureGPUFan1Rpm / 2), 0)
You can adjust the other 3 measures similarly if needed. That's all it should take. Refresh the skin and your fan speeds will be halved.