It is currently May 14th, 2024, 11:24 am

"On desktop" skins not staying on desktop.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
hyseptik

"On desktop" skins not staying on desktop.

Post by hyseptik »

Hello there.

I've been having some trouble with all my skins, including Enigma/Illustro skins. I have them all set to "On desktop", but experience the following problems:

1. Skins occasionally show through Windows when I maximize them
Example (the moon here is a skin).

2. Skins show through the marked area when clicking and dragging on the desktop
Example

3. Skins flash when I go to the desktop by Win+D or right clicking the bottom right corner
Example (this gif also illustrates issue #1 again.

Is there a way to get rid of these errors? I tried setting my skin to "Bottom", which takes away these issues but make the skins disappear altogether when I go to the desktop.

I am running Rainmeter 3.2.0 beta (r2326 64 bit) on Windows 8.1.

Thanks for reading.
Bekarfel

Re: "On desktop" skins not staying on desktop.

Post by Bekarfel »

#1: Rainmeter's On Desktop function does not literally place the skins on the desktop layer (such behavior is not possible, the desktop is handled by Explorer.exe, and Explorer.exe doesn't have any functions to inject objects into the desktop layer. put your feet in the shoes of a malicious person and imagine the LOLs this could have), the setting just has Rainmeter move all of it's windows below every other window, to make the appearance of being on the desktop (there's probably some DWM magic going on to cause this problem as well)
#2: same as above, but no DWM magic here. this is all explorer.exe
#3: I'm not sure what is happening in the image, but from your description, same as above with an extra bit. in this case, hitting ctrl+alt+D to bring the desktop to the foreground literally moves the desktop to the foreground, but since this moves the desktop in front of Rainmeter, Rainmeter has to move itself up in front of the desktop again
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...