It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:23 am

[Resolved] Registry Measure :: Weird issue...32 vs 64bit

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Grim

[Resolved] Registry Measure :: Weird issue...32 vs 64bit

Post by Grim »

So the following measure works fine for me on my work machine where the desktop is locked down with tons of GPOs.

Code: Select all

[MeasureGPUName]
Measure=Registry
RegHKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
RegKey=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winsat
RegValue=PrimaryAdapterString
However, when I use the same Measure in a skin at home it only returns "0". Did a quick trace with Process Monitor and for some strange reason it's going to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winsat\PrimaryAdapterString

Now I figure the reason for this is that my system at home is 64bit. But when I open "regedit" There is no "wow6432".

Same issue for the other GPU measures all in the same regkey...
RegValue=DedicatedVideoMemory
RegValue=SharedVideoMemory
RegValue=VideoMemorySize

Known issue? :confused:

Edit: Possible solution, have the registry "plugin"/measure strip wow6432...perhaps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grim on February 9th, 2014, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Bug] Registry Measure :: Weird issue...

Post by jsmorley »

Not sure. This works fine for me on Windows 8.1 64bit, Rainmeter 3.1.0 beta 64-bit

Code: Select all

[MeasureRegistry]
Measure=Registry
RegHKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
RegKey=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinSAT
RegValue=PrimaryAdapterString
UpdateDivider=30
BTW, what you are seeing is actually Wow6432Node, not Wow6432, which is an automatic method that Windows uses when 32bit applications require certain values from the Registry on a 64bit Windows system. It should actually be transparent, and we certainly can't have the Registry measure "strip it off" as first, it is added by Windows after the request is made, and second, even if we could then just tons of things would fail as Windows would just pitch a fit. Think of it as a "redirect" that Windows automatically does when 32bit software asks for some registry information (primarily in HKLM\SOFTWARE) on a 64bit system.

Are you running 32bit Rainmeter on a 64bit system? Did you by chance just copy your entire Rainmeter folder from your work machine to your home one? If so, then that might just explain it. While I promise you there IS a Wow6432Node entry on any 64bit Windows system (at least Win7 or later) I don't think the "WinSAT" hive entry is replicated in Wow6432Node.
2014-02-08_193154.jpg
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/registry-wow6432-node.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grim

Re: [Bug] Registry Measure :: Weird issue...

Post by Grim »

Ah, that's it. Was using 32bit Rainmeter from my USB portableapps install. Moved the skin over to a local install at home with 64bit Rainmeter and everything is working fine.

Good call Jeff. Thanks again! :bow:
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Resolved] Registry Measure :: Weird issue...32 vs 64bit

Post by jsmorley »

Glad to help.