It is currently October 18th, 2024, 5:22 am

Can you change the installer for Rainmeter?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
MarkColley

Can you change the installer for Rainmeter?

Post by MarkColley »

Hi All

Just wanted to ask a question, Is it possible to package the Rainmeter installer with a different skin?

I have created a skin for some work related stats and would like to push Rainmeter out to a few PC's, but I'd like the installer to use my skin rather than open on first install with the Illustro defaults.

If anyone has any ideas if this is possible could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks all.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Can you change the installer for Rainmeter?

Post by jsmorley »

There is no easy way to change the installer, as you would have to install a couple of different software packages (primarily Visual Studio Express and NSIS) to create a build. You would also have issues with "digitally signing" the installer, without which, at least on Windows 8, SmartScreen will pitch a fit.

You are probably best off to write some kind of batch file, powershell script, or something else that installs Rainmeter, copies over your desired skins, unloads illustro, and loads the ones you want. You could create a Layout and load that from the command line.

You didn't ask, but I would in general think carefully about the implications of widely installing Rainmeter in a work environment. Hiring Edward Snowden or Julian Assange as your IT security manager is probably a better choice than using Rainmeter on a corporate network. It requires that the user have administrator privileges on their computer to operate correctly, it is impossible to "lock down" so it can't be changed, it has any passwords used stored in plain text in files on the computer, users can download and install any of many thousands of skins available on the internet, any of which can do things you may not want. Up to you of course, and in a small office environment it can be fine, but weigh the benefits against the security and support headaches before you decide.
MarkColley

Post by MarkColley »

Hi JS.

Yeah I am aware of the implications and am still considering if I should install it across the network or not.
The network here, isn't exactly huge and i do lock it down fairly securely with permissions and GPO's but your point is well taken.

My issue is I have a windows 7 gadget that is used by basically everyone in the company and Rainmeter is the best solution I have come even close to finding to replace it.
The fact that Rainmeter is almost as insecure as a windows gadget really doesn't help but i am just trying to gather all the info I can before I tell the bosses that basically they are going to lose the gadget :S

If our ridiculously overpriced ERP solution was Windows 8 compatible that would have been the best solution, but hey ho.

Thanks anyway JS.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Not only wouldn't I widely distribute Rainmeter in a corporate environment, but I wouldn't allow it to be installed at all by individuals. Any IT person who suggested that it be used to support business functionality would be frog-marched out of the building by security, carrying a cardboard box with their favorite coffee mug and that picture of their dog.
MarkColley

Post by MarkColley »

Don't have a dog ;)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

MarkColley wrote:Don't have a dog ;)
;-)