It is currently September 18th, 2024, 1:29 pm

wow

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
benjam

wow

Post by benjam »

never thought i'd see the resurrection of rainmeter and thought that all the hits my site was getting was from die hard users.

had no idea it was from new users.

anywho... greets from slovakia (although we'll be moving back to the states soon) 8-)

my name is benjam and i created the moon skin for rainmeter.
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
maminscris

Re: wow

Post by maminscris »

benjam wrote:never thought i'd see the resurrection of rainmeter and thought that all the hits my site was getting was from die hard users.

had no idea it was from new users.

anywho... greets from slovakia (although we'll be moving back to the states soon) 8-)

my name is benjam and i created the moon skin for rainmeter.
:welcome: around here, nice to see you, yes the hits were from us
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
Yelleke

Post by Yelleke »

:welcome: and hope to see some more from you.

;)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ooh ooh. :o :shock:
Did you get my message: yes?

It is so good to have you, and to know that your are still around.
I have been working with your original skin "Shiny" for a few months now.
Most excellent.

I am also glad to see work proceeding on the Advanced Moon and Sun calculations (you are correct the Sun Still needs a little work work ;) , Let me know if I can assist in any way, or any of us!).
  I am wondering if you received my original letter some months ago. I floated a bad e-mail address when I submitted  
Either way: I consider it a privilege and an honor that you are here.
You, your server and skin have served the Rainmeter Community for so long, how can we now help you?

And: :welcome: to the forums :D
benjam

Post by benjam »

wow, thanks for that :D

and yes, I got your email. (the recent one at least)

the only thing the Advanced Moon engine needs is some really good, accurate rise / set algorithms for both the sun and the moon. in all my searching, I could never find one that was really good (usually off by a few minutes or so). so if anybody knows where I can find some of those... i'd be very appreciative.

also... just to let everybody know, the PHP scripts that run the moon skin are freely available for you to put on your own servers if you wish. they are available from http://iohelix.net/moon/

some info on how popular the moon skin is on my site... the moon skin is the #1 request on my server (which is hosted btw, so don't pound it too hard ;) ) by a long shot. to give an example, the moon skin got 2,326,646 hits while the next highest page on my site got 173,168.

off topic- who made the arcs skin... it's genius and beautiful. i've made a few tweaks to mine, and i'm loving all the abstract data. getting ideas in my head to add circles inside of the clock that increase over time to weeks, months, and years. (I've already added a day circle just inside the large C drive arc that is awesome... helps see the progression of the day)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ok: Good, Bad, and Ugly time!

The Good:
benjam wrote:off topic- who made the arcs skin... it's genius and beautiful. i've made a few tweaks to mine, and i'm loving all the abstract data. getting ideas in my head to add circles inside of the clock that increase over time to weeks, months, and years. (I've already added a day circle just inside the large C drive arc that is awesome... helps see the progression of the day)
Kaelri the designer of Enigma, this is one of his children.
I would also very much like to see what you have done with it as well.
benjam wrote:the only thing the Advanced Moon engine needs is some really good, accurate rise / set algorithms for both the sun and the moon. in all my searching, I could never find one that was really good (usually off by a few minutes or so). so if anybody knows where I can find some of those... i'd be very appreciative.
Give me some time to do some homework.
This is actually one of my things for the community
If it exists, I , or we, will find it. ;)
benjam wrote: also... just to let everybody know, the PHP scripts that run the moon skin are freely available for you to put on your own servers if you wish. they are available from http://iohelix.net/moon/
It will be done ;)

The Bad:
benjam wrote:some info on how popular the moon skin is on my site... the moon skin is the #1 request on my server (which is hosted btw, so don't pound it too hard ;) ) by a long shot.
I fear I am one of the orchestrators of this. It was a call for a moonphase, and I was already utilizing the skin, and the request was to integrate it to a weather skin, so I did, and I have had well over 10,000 downloads of this skin (in full release and Beta) in the last 3 months.
A sample of teh skin here:
http://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25#p10185

I guess my questions should be what is a good Update ration, as I have kept the original ratio that was coded, but at times this seems much.

The Ugly:
benjam wrote:the moon skin got 2,326,646 hits while the next highest page on my site got 173,168.
If this really starts becoming an issue, PM me and we may have a few suggestions to get this load relieved. :twisted:
Though I may need some assistance from yourself.
benjam

Post by benjam »

no no... i was just giving stats.

not a complaint at all. sorry if i was mis-understood.

it makes me feel all fuzzy inside when i see that millions of hits have come in because of something I did. (doesn't it do that for you?)

so no worries, 30 minutes is totally fine. (i had planned for a good sized following, that's why the page that runs the skin is deliberately svelte)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Cool
sgtevmckay

FYE

Post by sgtevmckay »

Just to keep you updated:

I am finding a number of sites, but no real software per-say that is drop dead reliable.
A lot of variables are coming into play (most of which you are aware of better than I )
The Moon Rise and sunrise (& fall/set) are determined via Latitude and longitude and relative position of earth to sun.

the sun may rise at 0530 GMT but not towards the Northern hemisphere, if it is summer in Africa.
So these calculations are determined to be relative.
there is also the fact that the Earth is not round, but Oval per-say.
So calculation is difficult as it is not a universal oval.

Apparently the Moon Rise and set are a lot easier to calculate as the moon is some what of a Constant (?) and it's location and movement can be calculated versus the Julian calendar, and the properly set by Calculations versus Lat and Long.
Something about we are the center of the moons universe

The sun on the other hand....woof...I am still doing homework.

Apparently the most respected site for such information is here:
http://www.timeanddate.com/

As for the legitimacy and accuracy...who knows.

i will continue to look for more information 8-)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Greetings sir.

It has been a long time, but I have not given up my search.

I mat have a collaborative solution in the works to help get the Moon Phase information pages to where you want them.
I am not holding my breath, but I will keep you updated, if you are still interested.
I am speaking now with a gentleman that developed the following web page:
http://www.sunrisesunsetmap.com/

If he, and you are agreeable, I will see about placing you in contact with each other (???)

Regards
the Sarge