It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 8:13 pm

Windows Search 4 - Index Status

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
gas.siseon

Windows Search 4 - Index Status

Post by gas.siseon »

Hello,
I guess some of you know the nice gadget for Vista sidebar called "Indexer Status" giving a real-time status of the Windows Search status (including total indexed items, queued items for indexing, a few controls to pause indexing or to force indexing and a settings button to open windows search options).

I was wondering if Rainmeter could be able to show the index status on a skin, not necessarily with index control features but just the real-time status.

Anybody able to do this ?

Thanks

Gas
sgtevmckay

Re: Windows Search 4 - Index Status

Post by sgtevmckay »

this sounds like an excellent idea, although I am unaware if this information can be drawn down from windows, I would guess nit at this time. especially considering the newness of this feature.

I thinl some serious consideration should be had here, and the first place I would look is in teh registry and see if there is any tracking entries for the indexer in this case, other wise a dll plugin may need to be deigned.

I need more information on the indexer, API information if there is any, and how windows DB's the information and where.

Let me, and others, do some home work and see what we can come up with at this time.

Otherwise, I think this would be a great addition to Rainmeter, as it would be good to monitor just how much information and how resource hungry this indexer is, or can be.
Dave_W

Post by Dave_W »

Sgt,

The gadget that Gas is talking about is a third-party tool, not an official Windows tool - this is the site of the developer. So there must be an API/knowledge out there which enables the search to be read.

I found this on the MSDN site which is probably the place to start if going that route.

Given that we'd be trying to replicate Brandon's functionality, it might make the most sense to speak to him directly before jumping off the deep end. I'm happy to do that myself, because I can see a lot of value in this extension, but my coding is pretty terrible so I don't know how far that will get us...

EDIT: Alright, I got the wrong end of the proverbial there. While the tool itself is not an official part of Windows, the chap who developed it is a Microsoft employee. I haven't contacted him yet (figured this out while trying to find email details for him) so I don't know for sure, but my guess is that he's not going to want to help.

It seems pretty clear to me that there is an API out there, but I don't have the chops to do anything about that.
Sunspot2

Post by Sunspot2 »

I dont know if this helps.
I have no idea from where that gadget gets the index numbers, but i know how it starts and pause the indexer service and how to open the indexing options from Rainmeter.