It is currently April 26th, 2024, 5:33 pm

Metro remix thingy

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
firefiber

Metro remix thingy

Post by firefiber »

First off, I'VE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE! So I know it's not that great, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! It's my first skin-theme thing.

Second, MASSIVE thanks to everyone who helped me out with this! Seriously.

Third, it's still not entirely complete. :(

First log on (welcome message disappears in about 3 seconds, and the greeting is randomized in 10 different languages):
scrnsht 006.jpg
Drive browser (took me ages to make this!)
scrnsht 007.jpg
Shutdown button (hidden until mouse over)
scrnsht 008.jpg
Restart button (scroll down inside shutdown button)
scrnsht 009.jpg
I would love to make this a proper theme and release it, but I have no idea how to. Plus, I don't know how to make it easy for people to customize it, like add their own buttons to the metro thingy, and the drives, etc. So for now, I guess it'll only be for me. Oh well.

If you guys have any suggestions/improvements I can make, let me know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Virginityrocks

Re: Metro remix thingy

Post by Virginityrocks »

It's pretty simple to do. But it does take about 10 minutes of reading to understand. Look up publishing RMSKIN in the Rainmeter manual, or google search.

And not every skin needs to be customizable. Some of the most popular skins on the internet have little or no customization options at all. (Of course, if you know Rainmeter, anything is customizable)
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter
firefiber

Post by firefiber »

Virginityrocks wrote:It's pretty simple to do. But it does take about 10 minutes of reading to understand. Look up publishing RMSKIN in the Rainmeter manual, or google search.

And not every skin needs to be customizable. Some of the most popular skins on the internet have little or no customization options at all. (Of course, if you know Rainmeter, anything is customizable)
I made the RMSKIN thingy. But even if I do publish it, people would need to change the tiles to point to the programs they want, they'd then need the icons for each program, and the right size of the icons too. Same goes for the hard drives (what if they have just one hard drive? what if they have six?). The only things that can really be put up are the time/date thing, the weather stats, the shutdown/restart button and greeting.

I think when you start making a skin, you gotta decide if it's just for you or if you're planning on publishing it, and code accordingly. Oh well, maybe the next one. :)
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

I personally build skins for myself, and what makes sense to me only. Just do what makes sense to you, and it'll turn out great.

If you want to make it customizable, just read about .INC files, how to use @Include !WriteKeyValue bangs, and InputText meters, or just make a very tidy and easy to understand .INC file.
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter