It is currently May 4th, 2024, 4:59 pm

What is the advantage of the @Resources folder?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Virginityrocks

What is the advantage of the @Resources folder?

Post by Virginityrocks »

Just a simple question. What is the advantage of having all images, addons, and other files in the @Resources folder, instead of the Addons folder in the .RMSKIN package, and images not in their associated config folder?

More specifically, what is the disadvantage of having them in the Addons folder and images in their associated config folder?

And a question about the @Resources\Addons folder vs. the Addons folder. Does this affect whether or not Windows recognizes it as a safe program? It seems that older skins using the older Addons folder don't require user permission to run an addon when triggered in a Rainmeter skin, while addons in the @Resources\Addons folder seem to.
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter
smurfier

Re: What is the advantage of the @Resources folder?

Post by smurfier »

• Rainmeter does not scan the @Resources folder for skins.
  • #@# is a lot shorter than #ROOTCONFIGPATH#Resources
  • Putting addons in @Resources instead of a program wide Addons folder is that Rainmeter does not know the version of the addon being installed in the Addons folder, allowing an older version to overwrite a newer addon, breaking skins in the process.
  • We needed somewhere nice to put stuff like the Fonts and Cursors folders.
  • Makes things a whole lot more consistent.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
ScoobSTi

Post by ScoobSTi »

All of what Smurfier said is completely true. I can't think of any disadvantages of it, either. But, I do have firsthand experience of why putting things in @Resources is good.

When I was making my first suite, I didn't know about the @Resources folder, so I just put a certain background image file in a number of config folders (one in a music player folder, the other would go in something like an email skin, etc). That meant every skin I made under the suite had different image paths for the exact same image, and since the file was 1 MB in total, every skin that used it added another 1 MB to the total size (23 MB, and this specific 1 MB image was used about 10 times).

I have learned from that, and my new skins all use a universal image (if they need to share) under "(Root Path)\@Resources\Images", instead of having the same file being repeated everywhere. This means a drastically lowered size in my case.

Hope that wasn't hard to understand.
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

No. I get it. Thanks.
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter