It is currently May 1st, 2024, 5:10 pm

Problem specifying VariableFiles in the Skin Packager

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Mordasius

Problem specifying VariableFiles in the Skin Packager

Post by Mordasius »

When I packaged an update of the Cogs, Tubes and Gauges collection I put CogsTubesGauges\@Resources\Configs\UserVariables.inc in the Variables Files: box of the Rainmeter Skin Packager hoping that the UserVariables.inc file wouldn't be overwritten if it already existed.

This did indeed put VariableFiles=CogsTubesGauges\@Resources\Configs\UserVariables.inc in the .rmskin package but the existing UserVariables.inc file got replaced when the package was installed.
VariableFiles settings.jpg
What did I do wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moshi

Re: Problem specifying VariableFiles in the Skin Packager

Post by moshi »

hm ...

doesn't seem like you made a mistake.

did you try packing it without the layout? maybe it confuses the folders.
Mordasius

Re: Problem specifying VariableFiles in the Skin Packager

Post by Mordasius »

After a little more testing I found that the problem was with the way I was trying to find out if the UserVariables.inc file was being changed. :oops:

I was putting a comment like ;-> please don't overwrite this!!! in UserVariables.inc and getting all huffity-puffity when it got overwritten. So then I tried actually changing a variable and hey presto! the variable remained unchanged. So it seems that only variables that have been changed are preserved while everything else is overwritten with what is in the .rmskin. Very clever and exactly what is needed as it means you can change any instructions or explanations and these will replace whatever was in the original version.