DeviantArt - Some help with a custom desktop & rainmeter plz

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
4ourFoxtrot

DeviantArt - Some help with a custom desktop & rainmeter plz

Post by 4ourFoxtrot »

Greetings all,

I'm trying to replicate this custom desktop I've found over at DA here:

win7 screenshot 07.27.2012 by ~piseltak on deviantART

I also have a forum thread up over there, If you have an account and can help, drop me a line, here:

deviantART Forum: Windows 7 Desktop customization help, a tutorial or some guidlines please.

Screenshot:

I've decided that this is time I also learn how all of these tweaks are done, so I can start doing my own from scratch, as I'm quite into the desktop customization thing. On linux too.

I have tried and succeeded with a lot of windows desktop visual styles and apps, but two that never seem to work quite right are iconpackager (which never properly changes every icon) and some visual styles don't properly apply, in this case the font's aren't being applied with the rest of the theme.

Rainmeter:

I struggle with a lot with the photoshop stuff (as many do) so bare with me.

I downloaded the .psd template resource file for the rainmeter widgets shown in the screenshot here. But I don't have a scooby do, how to edit or change them to look and function like this, or how to change them to suit my purposes.

I don't know how the .psd file can be used in a rainmeter widget or how they become one?

Icons on the taskbar (Photoshop) here:

Nothing icons by ~Neteru on deviantART

The author didn't provide much of vast range of icons. He mentions briefly in the comments how to make them, but it still isn't enough to go on. I would like to make some more if someone can help me?

Ok, I know there's a lot there. But I would really appreciate the info and knowledge.

Thank you,

4F.
ScoobSTi

Re: DeviantArt - Some help with a custom desktop & rainmeter

Post by ScoobSTi »

So, if I read that with my exhausted eyes correctly, all you want to do at the moment is create icons like the ones the author made and used in the skin. That’s quite easy for someone like me, but since you’re not used to making your own graphics, it would be a lot easier to make new items as text values with bangs instead.

As far as I know, Rainmeter doesn’t read .PSD files. I know it reads .PNG, .JPG and .BMP, though. So, an easy way around Photoshop would be GIMP. It’s free, and is almost as powerful as Photoshop (for what I need to do, at least) and much simpler (in my opinion). Also, it can save and open .PSD files, preserving all the precious layers intact.

If you really want to make new icons for the skin instead of text values, I could help provide a tutorial.