It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 8:14 am

Can someone explain to me what is Rainmeter?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
amine999

Can someone explain to me what is Rainmeter?

Post by amine999 »

Ok, so I'm completely confused, this is what happens when you discover something randomly without any intros, so, Rainmeter says on their website that they do not alter taskbars and such, but in videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZu8EYomk04 and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lIMtGKI8rvg&feature=endscreen, these guys easily changed their task bars and I don't know what's going on anymore.

That and I don't know how to use Rainmeter, I downloaded a skin theme, and when I installed it, nothing happened, I checked the box that says "Run after installing" and nothing happened, so what do I do? And how does all of this work? I'd like to download the rotating Rainmeter skin or at least know how to successfully download cool skins.

Please walk me through the wonders of Rainmeter as this is something I really see myself using since I love to customize everything I own (wallpapers, screensavers, computer fan and vent lights, keyboard lights, log on screen, OS boot up animation, etc.)
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Can someone explain to me what is Rainmeter?

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Hello and welcome to Rainmeter :)

Rainmeter isn't the only software you can use to customize your desktop. When you see taskbar replacement they are commonly some separate dock programs that don't have anything to do with Rainmeter. One popular example is Stardock's ObjectDock.

If you want to know more about what Rainmeter is, please read at least the first page of the Rainmeter manual. If you still have questions after that, come back and ask away :)
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
NovaSev

Re: Can someone explain to me what is Rainmeter?

Post by NovaSev »

The quick and easy explanation is that Rainmeter is a resource meter (hard drive, cpu, network usage, weather forecasts, and tons more) that you can display on your desktop. Some of it is interactive, some of it is purely for customization looks. There are thousands of skins out there Be careful from where and who you download from though

The easiest way to get started is downloading Rainmeter (from their main page here) - and then installing a skin. You can get to it by right clicking on your Rainmeter icon that should show up on/in your taskbar, going to Skins, and scrolling into one of the skins you have there. After that, just click on one of the pop out meters (it'll say .ini usually) and you will see a meter come on to your desktop (probably in the top left side).

After that, I suggest you follow the manual. There are a lot of videos on YouTube to help you out as well. I would suggest looking up Armando Ferreira who has a nice video to get you started.
NovaSev :: Developer & Designer
Find me on: Facebook | DeviantArt | NovaSev.com