It is currently April 26th, 2024, 4:47 pm

Rainmeter Showing Through Locked Desktop?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
baddassmutha

Rainmeter Showing Through Locked Desktop?

Post by baddassmutha »

Hello All! Forgive me if this is already known or has been answered before (Im new to Rainmeter)... Is it possible to lock my PC (Windows XP SP3) and still have Rainmeter showing on the desktop? Currently as you would expect, when I lock my screen (Windows Key + L) Rainmeter and everything else disappears and it just shows the locked screen dialog box. I work in IT Support so need to lock my screen sometimes while doing paper work but would still like to see the time and my Notes in Rainmeters Sidebar.

If this could be answered (yes) that would be great! Big up to the people that made this application and to the people that help maintain and improve it, "fantastic" bit of software!!

Thanks in advance
Baddass Mutha
maminscris

Re: Rainmeter Showing Through Locked Desktop?

Post by maminscris »

i do not think so since the windows is the one that cuts all stuff from desktop when you lock computer
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Interesting and exciting concept.
I know of now current way to accomplish this, as part of teh locked desktop option. It is a "Very Slim" safety feature and resource reducer.

I am interested in this capability as well, especially since you have mentioned something.
I will do some home work, and contact some folks at MSDN, and see if this is possible by core software coding, or if there is a third party application that may accomplish this task.

:welcome: Welcome to the forums :D
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Should be an app out there that captures all keystrokes and mouse clicks until a password is entered in it's dialog. If not someone should be able to make one in AHK or AutoIt.
atteSmythe

Post by atteSmythe »

I hope you don't mind a quick bump on this topic. It's one that's interested me as well, lately - no need for my pretty sidebar stats to shut off just because I stepped AFK a moment!

I was using a program called "Transparent Screen Lock" for XP that did something similar - assuming you remembered to use it before stepping away.

Aside from that, the most intriguing idea I'd seen was to make a screensaver that basically didn't display anything - just hid the taskbar and left the Desktop window active. With Rainmeter on the desktop layer, it would stay visible (maybe there's a way of showing all Rainmeter windows, regardless of layer?). Set the screensaver to require your password to unlock, and you have the same security as locking your PC. You can even launch the screensaver with a link, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I was considering playing around with something of that nature, but thought I'd ask here if anyone had come up with a good alternative in the mean time.