It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 1:45 pm

Windows 8

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
SomeDude

Windows 8

Post by SomeDude »

Okay, I have the Windows 8 developer preview, and I would really love to have Rainmeter on my computer.
The problem; I am worried about compatibility.
I was told by a developer that it is compatible, but from what I've heard, there are some risks...
I always get worked up about these types of things, and I have had some bad experiences in the past.
I just want to be sure;
Is there anything that could go wrong if I was to do something incorrectly? I say this because in the past, I have made some bad mistakes with customization of Windows. Once, I accidentally made the desktop completely disappear...
All I need to know is if there are any risks I am taking be installing Rainmeter onto a somewhat outdated Laptop (Gateway) with a brand new, beta, and experimental version of Microsoft's new OS.

Other information;
The computer is an Outdated Gateway Laptop designed for Windows Vista. It was upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate and soon after was upgraded again to Windows 8 developer preview shortly before the official release. It is running the Windows custom graphics drivers and cannot support OpenGL, or any programs that run on it, such as Minecraft. It crashes every now and again, but nothing too serious. It has a 1.7 dual core Pentium processor, and 2.5 RAM (1.99 usable, due to a 32bit OS).

Thanks for the help!
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Windows 8

Post by jsmorley »

No risks at all. If it ran on Win7 ok, it will run on Win8 at least as well.
SomeDude

Re: Windows 8

Post by SomeDude »

jsmorley wrote:No risks at all. If it ran on Win7 ok, it will run on Win8 at least as well.
Actually, I have only just discovered Rainmeter.
I have no idea if it would have ran well or not with previous versions of Windows for my laptop...
Anyway, thank you. I think this is enough for me to go ahead and try it out.