It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 11:23 am

I can't open rainmeter

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Xizyzz

I can't open rainmeter

Post by Xizyzz »

I've just downloaded rainmeter 1.0 32-bit. When I try to run raimeter, i got an error message saying "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." I've already reinstalled it, but I get the same message.
sgtevmckay

Re: I can't open rainmeter

Post by sgtevmckay »

I will bite my tongue and give you the following suggestion.
There is no reason you should need to do this!!!

On the Rainmeter installer, right click and select "Run with Administrative Privilege"
This will allow windows to not look at the install and just let it happen.

Again thsi should not be necessary.

A quick question: Are you doing a standard install, or are you trying to install to a custom location?
Xizyzz

Post by Xizyzz »

I did what you said, but I'm still getting the same message. I'm doing a standard install.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

More often than not this is created when Visual Style folders become corrupted. In Vista and 7 this gets covered up as the system will attempt to run anyways, regardless of the style that has been instituted.
Windows may not even warn you that here is an issue.

I will assume you have not utilized Vista-Glazz and modified your systems visual style.
So on to the next solution.
===============================================================================================
There is a slim possibility that you have a corrupted download.

I would uninstall from the Control Panel.
Do this first!

Then got to:
C:\Users\[USER}\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter
And delete the entire Rainmeter file there

Go to :
C:\Program Files\Rainmeter
And delete the entire Rainmeter file remains as well.

Go to:
C:\Users\Dennis\Documents\Rainmeter
And delete the entire Rainmeter folder here as well.

Then download a fresh copy of Rainmeter 1.0
http://rainmeter.googlecode.com/files/Rainmeter-1.0-32bit.exe

and then attempt the install again.
===================================================================================================

If this does not work, we will need to get a file dump from you to take a closer look.

My apologies for the issues you are having
but
I do :welcome: you to the forums 8-)
Xizyzz

Post by Xizyzz »

It still doesn't work :/
I found a Rainmeter 101 page, and when I was reading through it, I noticed reading about a Rainmeter.ini file.

"Rainmeter keeps track of which skins are loaded, where they are positioned and many other attributes through a "Rainmeter.ini" file it creates and maintains in the .\Rainmeter folder."

I looked for this file on my computer, and I don't have this file. I also noticed that a raimeter folder was't created in my documents folder. The .txt document in Program Files/Rainmeter/Skins said there should've been one. I think this may be my problem. I've reinstalled raimeter, I still don't have rainmeter.ini and the Rainmeter/Skins folder in My Documents.
Thanks for the welcome.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

The Rainmeter.ini should be created in %APPDATA% It sounds to me like for some reason something is stopping that file from being created, possibly some security software you have.
Xizyzz

Post by Xizyzz »

I use Norton antivirus, maybe that is stpping it? Norton usually sends me a messeage to block or allow certain files though. Should i reinstall with norton disabled?
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

I use norton too Norton System works 2005 at home and Norton Internet security at work, nothing blocks rainmeter, I'm on Windows xp pro SP2 on both computers, nothing blocks it, maybe you need some .dll missing or rainmeter ca not install microsoft visual C++, without this I was not able to install rainmeter on work i'm on user account there
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

May need to supply a non-install and walk you through a manula install of Rainmeter and see if this will work.

I utilized nortons for a while with Rainmeter and other than having to enter an exception for internet communications, I never had an issue.
Xizyzz

Post by Xizyzz »

Hmm, since Rainmeter 1.0 isnt working, does anyone have an older version?