It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:43 am

The U.S. is moving forward (OpenInternet.gov)

Topics unrelated to Rainmeter.
sgtevmckay

The U.S. is moving forward (OpenInternet.gov)

Post by sgtevmckay »

This issue began with Clinton, plagued Bush, and at least Obama has moved forward and demanded an appropriate solution.

This is mainly a US effect, but will have Worldwide implications.
The Political and social impact can/could be devastating.
As they are saying free, there are already lobbyist that are demanding input and control
Over the last few years the FCC has been overly tasked with so much, but this may be their biggest battle yet.
How does one allow regulated anarchy, and freedom, in a system that wants to be controlled by Capitalist?
Not to mention that the U.S. Home land Security will want their own input into the Openness of the Internet.
Any way: it will be interesting to see how this will play out over the months and years!

Today, we can’t imagine what our lives would be like without the Internet -- any more than we can imagine life without running water or the light bulb. Millions of us depend upon it every day: at home, at work, in school -- and everywhere in between. The Internet has unleashed the creative genius of countless entrepreneurs and has enabled the creation of jobs -- and the launch of small businesses and the expansion of large ones -- all across America.

That’s why Congress and the President have charged the FCC with developing a National Broadband Plan to ensure that every American has access to open and robust broadband.
The re-play of the interview:
http://brookings.feedroom.com/?&fr_story=FRdamp361261&fr_chl=c4288c226c75200cfefdddbeb876732bbccfb258&autoplay=true&skin=oneclip

Full Speech:
http://openinternet.gov/read-speech.html

The New OpenInternet.gov Site.
http://openinternet.gov/

Thoughts from the folks at ZD Net:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4861
Falconer

Re: The U.S. is moving forward (OpenInternet.gov)

Post by Falconer »

Awesome.

How the heck will they pay for it?

>_< : P
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

Germany planned something like this 2 years ago...
But I don't see any change in my connection, still a "narrow"band-connection to the internet :roll:

But yeah, our politicians suck. :D
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

I'm really glad I'm not American. I wouldn't trust the FCC with anything like this. They seem to believe that they understand what is or is not socially acceptable, with isn't true in the least. All you have to do is look at the difference between American and European advertisements to see that. Are the Europeans less sensitive? No, they're just used to different things. With the Internet, offensive material is taken to a whole new level. Stupid shit we couldn't have imagined 20 years ago is now commonplace. If the FCC decides that it's all too much, what if they decide something needs to be done? All I can say is... look at China...
ImageImageImageImage
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

Or at Wolfgang Schäuble one year ago... :roll:

Or looks NOW at Ursula von der Leyen :D
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

@Samus Aran: I don't think that anybody around here have ever heard those names before (except the ones from Germany) ;)

What's so bad about the idea to make internet available for all? I mean... There is no problem about it at all.
In my opinion a National Broadband Plan isn't comparable with censorship.

Hope I got you right. If not, I am very sorry for my English :p
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

The FCC is in charge of, among other things, censorship in the United States. By having them be the ones to organize a public internet, I can only imagine that the entire country would suddenly be subject to a sort of "parental lock". So yeah, you have the internet, but only the parts that you're "supposed" to be looking at. Maybe I'm wrong, and it really will just be the good old, regular internet that we've come to know available everywhere, but I just don't see that as being very likely.
ImageImageImageImage
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

Now I understand.
Thanks for the information :-)
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

OpenInternet.gov wrote:To date, the Federal Communications Commission has addressed these issues by announcing four Internet principles that guide our case-by-case enforcement of the communications laws. These principles can be summarized as: Network operators cannot prevent users from accessing the lawful Internet content, applications, and services of their choice, nor can they prohibit users from attaching non-harmful devices to the network...

The fifth principle is one of non-discrimination -- stating that broadband providers cannot discriminate against particular Internet content or applications...

The sixth principle is a transparency principle -- stating that providers of broadband Internet access must be transparent about their network management practices.
As long as they remain faithful to these principles, I don't have a problem with this, whether the FCC sets up a government-run ISP or simply enforces more regulation of private providers.

People remember government's successes more than its failures. Myself, I'm much more wary of corporate interference, and I would welcome a government check on their power to manipulate the Internet.
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »