It is currently May 17th, 2024, 5:07 am

Quote plugin: filtering?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Bloody_T

Quote plugin: filtering?

Post by Bloody_T »

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/quote

OK this says you can filter files by name, and extension, but is there any way to filter by other metadata, Particularly filtering images by there dimensions, aspect ratio (possibly within a range)

I've made a skin that shows random pictures from a folder, but i would like it if it would only pick pictures that fit or are close to fitting... IE something that is between 1:1 and 1.3:1 aspect ratio, and over 300 pixels wide would be acceptable, but something with a 2:1 ratio wouldn't.

If this cant be done, i can still at least manually copy the pictures into separate folders, although i would prefer if it with a filter :P (if its not possible ill post a request for the feature, and make due with what i got)

dimensions and aspect ratio are the main things im after, but info on other filters could be useful to so links are apreciated

here's my desktop btw:

Last edited by Brian on November 4th, 2012, 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Use [hsimg] for larger images.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Quote plugin: filtering?

Post by jsmorley »

Sorry no, you can only filter on the filenames and / or extensions.

Consider your request made, but I would not hold my breath. Quote plugin is not really about images as such, but just selects either some random bit (generally a line) of text from a text file, or some random filename (of any kind) from a folder(s). Having the plugin actually examine every file in a folder to get image attributes is both a major change to the plugin, and has a very high risk of impacting performance if you point it at a folder with a lot of images.
Bloody_T

Post by Bloody_T »

well is there any way to check this data after quote picks an image, and then if it doesnt match just re-run it?

and i see how it could decrease preformance, but that should only affect people using the filter?, and what kind of hit are you talking? estimate what a decent computer (2.5 ghz duel~) could filter in a second, without a noticeable preformance spike

i would think anything under 1000 images shouldnt be to bad?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Bloody_T wrote:well is there any way to check this data after quote picks an image, and then if it doesnt match just re-run it?

and i see how it could decrease preformance, but that should only affect people using the filter?, and what kind of hit are you talking? estimate what a decent computer (2.5 ghz duel~) could filter in a second, without a noticeable preformance spike

i would think anything under 1000 images shouldnt be to bad?
I don't know of any way to check the attributes of an image that can return a usable value to Rainmeter. Sorry.

More than pure performance, my concern with having the plugin actually "read" each file in a folder is that if there are a lot of files (and I have no idea what any threshold might be) there is a risk that the plugin may not be able to complete in one "update" of the skin, which can really cause problems.

In any case, we will keep this kind of functionality in mind. Someone might get a wild hair and tackle it in Quote plugin someday, or maybe some new plugin could be created. You never know.
Bloody_T

Post by Bloody_T »

yea thanks :P ill keep an eye out for it, i guess its not to much trouble to just create new folders and copy/paste the files into em :P