It is currently April 28th, 2024, 8:50 am

HELP installing and running rainmeter

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
drsmurf023

HELP installing and running rainmeter

Post by drsmurf023 »

HELP! ive been using rainmeter for quite some time now on windows 7. I just upgraded to windows 8, and now it will not run. I have done multiple uninstalls and reinstalls, registry cleans, disk defrag, nothing works. Whenever i try to run it an error called WerFault.exe pops up. It says "The instruction at 0xdeec0090 referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program."
What do I do?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: HELP installing and running rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

First, make sure Rainmeter is not running.

Make a backup copy of your Rainmeter.ini found in:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter

Then delete it from there.

Now try starting Rainmeter. Does it load with no error message? You won't get any skins on the screen, but if it is running you will get the Rainmeter icon in the Windows notification area (system tray).
drsmurf023

Post by drsmurf023 »

no dice. when i delete it and start rainmeter, it comes up with the same error and then replaces the .ini in the folder
UnforgivenRevival

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

I upgraded to windows 8 today myself and I havent had any problems with Rainmeter. Not sure what could be causing your problems. What version of Windows 8 are you using? Pro? Enterprise? are you using a retail version or VL or N version? It shouldnt make a difference but some versions install less important files than others. Specifically the N version.
drsmurf023

Post by drsmurf023 »

i'm using the retail version of the pro. dont understand why it wont work
UnforgivenRevival

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

drsmurf023 wrote:i'm using the retail version of the pro. dont understand why it wont work

Thats strange. I am currently using the retail version of pro with WMC added. I used Rainmeter before I added WMC so I know that has nothing to do with it. Have you tried running in compatibility mode? Are you using the correct Rainmeter version for your OS?(32/64bit)

Also, What version of Rainmeter do you have installed?
drsmurf023

Post by drsmurf023 »

solved the problem. for some reason even though its the 64 bit version of 8, the 64 bit version install doesnt work but the 32 bit version works
thanks for the help