It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 2:43 pm

ToolTips and Update rates

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mordasius

ToolTips and Update rates

Post by Mordasius »

I have a weather skin with five meters in which ToolTipIcon, ToolTipTitle and ToolTipText are set in the .ini file and/or by a lua script. Everything is fine with Update=1000 but when I use Update=50 with UpdateMultiplier=20 and UpdateDivider=#UpdateMultiplier# set on every meter I see flickering of the tooltip text and the CPU usage seems to jump by 1-2%.

So I wondered if the updating of ToolTips is being goverened purely by Update without any modification by UpdateDivider.
Alex Becherer

Re: ToolTips and Update rates

Post by Alex Becherer »

the tooltip does use UpdateDivider. you can try it with using UpdateDivider=-1 (no update) on a meter. you will see that the displayed values will not update.

of course the flickering might still be related to the Update setting in the Rainmeter section.

personally i noticed the more line breaks a tooltip has the more it flickers. and the lower part of the tooltip flickers more than the upper part. :/
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

just played a little. it seems to be the same here. more updates means more flickering as well.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

I think we can take UpdateDivider=-1 as an exception as that turns the updating off completely. The flickering is annoying, but the CPU issue might become important if you have 5+ skins with tooltips and low update rates to accommodate 'animations' like Kaelri's transitions. Normally these can be tamed using UpdateDivider but I'm not convinced that this is working when tooltip icons, titles and text are involved.
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

Mordasius wrote:I think we can take UpdateDivider=-1 as an exception as that turns the updating off completely.
oh, it's the same with a big UpdateDivider as well. Best way to see it is displaying a time measure.

updating the displayed value and redrawing the tooltip itself are very likely to be independent of each other though. it really gets bad when you have a very big tooltip (lets say a long "description" from an rss feed). cpu use gets really high then.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex Becherer wrote: oh, it's the same with a big UpdateDivider as well. Best way to see it is displaying a time measure.

updating the displayed value and redrawing the tooltip itself are very likely to be independent of each other though. it really gets bad when you have a very big tooltip (lets say a long "description" from an rss feed). cpu use gets really high then.
This is a known issue with tooltips that display a large amount of text. It is best to keep the number of chars in the tooltip around 250 or so.