It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 1:20 pm

Request for help with kind of an odd, niche Rainmeter use...

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Bellnut

Request for help with kind of an odd, niche Rainmeter use...

Post by Bellnut »

I run a live show that requires me to be able to flash images on a secondary monitor relatively quickly, and get rid of them just as quickly (to coincide with certain cues). Until now, I've been using Everything (a fast little desktop search program) to find the image I need, then just loading the images into a chromeless image viewing app and sliding it over onto the other desktop, then off again when I'm done with it. This gives acceptable results, but lacks polish and efficiency, and is somewhat imprecise. Here's what I want to do:

I want a smallish display on my main screen into which I can quickly load an image file (drag and drop?), and it'll show the thumbnail. Then, I want to just be able to click the thumbnail to show/hide an image viewer on the secondary monitor, one that displays the image scaled to fit the viewer itself.

It seems like a somewhat complex bit of work, but I thought I'd run it by the community here to see what parts are feasible, what parts aren't, and what parts might already exist as a starting point that I can alter and integrate into the project. Alternately, if it turns out that such a thing simply cannot be done, I would be happy with a simple image viewer that lets me load an image into a meter of a given size, scaled to fit, which I can just slide over and back.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might be able to give!!
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Request for help with kind of an odd, niche Rainmeter us

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Rainmeter doesn't support drag&drop.

If the images you are showing are always from a fixed set of images you could have an overview of all the thumbnails on one screen, and a click on them would display the image in full size on the second screen. With a Lua script you can achieve a fade-in or slide-in effect for the full size image.

If the images are always different, the only thing I can think of is pasting the path to the image file into an input text box manually, which isn't very comfortable. If your image is located in a fixed folder with a limited number of other images, thumbnails similar to my first suggestion above could be automatically created for all images in the folder.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

i think a context menu entry for images could work.

something like:

Code: Select all

Rainmeter.exe [!SetOption [Meter/Measure] [Option] "%1" (Config)]
Bellnut

Post by Bellnut »

Is there some function that could index the contents of a folder and do a recursive search?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Bellnut wrote:Is there some function that could index the contents of a folder and do a recursive search?
Take a look at these tools by santa_ryan... they contain a file utility along with other useful tools.
AlC

Post by AlC »

If you want Drag and Drop you could try DropIt. Here is a little example skin.

DropIt has 14 actions and one of them is "Open With". So you can drag an image on your DroptIt image and DropIt will open the image with your image viewer. You should configure your image viewer so that it always opens on the second monitor (to avoid the slide), should be done with your grapic card program like ati's CCC or nVidea's ...

The general idea is that you have your Dropit image behind your Rainmeter Meters, as you can see in the illustro example.

Thumbnails:
You would need anything that gives you infos what image you opend. With that infos you can do your thumbnail viewer.

Only a idea, didn't test anything.
Rainmeter - You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.