It is currently September 30th, 2024, 1:22 am

Folders in Rainmeter

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Zimatrix

Folders in Rainmeter

Post by Zimatrix »

Hey guys, I'm brand new to rainmeter (got it yesterday) so I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, I've downloaded a few skins and edited the colours, simple stuff.

I've been looking for a skin with a particular feature I'd like but I can't seem to find it anywhere, I'm just gonna try explain it as best I can and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me to a skin with this feature (or at least tell me if it'd be possible to do)

If anyone has ever used this it'll make things easier to understand http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/69048

With that skin you can click on the circle segments and it will open a new part of the skin with emails or notes or whatever in. I was just wondering if there was anything with the same principle except where you can click to open a new window (for lack of a better term) and then drag and drop folders. That way you could have the convenience of your desktop icons being on your desktop without ruining the aesthetics.

I hope I explained that well enough XD thanks in advance to anyone who replies :)
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Folders in Rainmeter

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Rainmeter doesn't have drag&drop functionality. Most of these launcher-type kind of skins work by editing a text file with the folder paths (and possibly icons). There are many skins with this launcher-type functionality. A search for "launcher" in the Rainmeter section of deviantART might give you what you are looking for: http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/sysmonitor/rainmeter/?qh=&section=&q=launcher
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
Zimatrix

Post by Zimatrix »

Thanks for the reply :) it's a real shame that what I'm looking for doesn't exist :/ launchers are great and all but it would save the hassle of having to change directories in the text files if you could simply drag and drop shortcuts into hide-able boxes.

I don't suppose drag and drop functionality is something that's being considered/is even possible? :P
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Zimatrix wrote:Thanks for the reply :) it's a real shame that what I'm looking for doesn't exist :/ launchers are great and all but it would save the hassle of having to change directories in the text files if you could simply drag and drop shortcuts into hide-able boxes.

I don't suppose drag and drop functionality is something that's being considered/is even possible? :P
It is something we have considered on several occasions. We are not going to try to implement at this time, as it moves Rainmeter into a level of "application" functionality that isn't a good fit for how it works today, and in our opinion is something that would need to be designed as part of a much bigger effort to add "application development" capabilities to Rainmeter in a way that is solid, reliable and safe.

We have other priorities that we think move Rainmeter forward in a way that keeps Rainmeter what it is, "the world's best desktop customization program", rather than "the world's worst application development language".