It is currently September 30th, 2024, 1:20 am

Moving Rainmeter Skins

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Xi.Cynx

Moving Rainmeter Skins

Post by Xi.Cynx »

I have a fairly easy question. Right now I have a theme that has each individual CPU meter as a separate skin. I was wondering if there is a way to be able to move multiple skin files at the same time or if I have to keep moving them all individually. Not a huge hassle, but moving stuff 1-3 times if a lot easier than moving stuff 18 times.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...said the rapist

Main Rig: i7 4770k | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | EVGA GTX 780 | Nexus 5000
thatsIch

Re: Moving Rainmeter Skins

Post by thatsIch »

yes, but you need to rework your skin now

as far as I understood your current skin is build off like this
  • Skins/CPU1
  • Skins/CPU2
  • Skins/CPU3
for the rework you need a lil bit of knowledge about rainmeter and their skin coding.

I'm sure your skin is build off something like this:

Code: Select all

[MeasureCPU]
Measure = CPU
Processor = 0

[MeterValueCPU]
Meter = String
MeasureName = measureCPU
Postfix = %

[MeterBarCPU]
Meter = Bar
MeasureName = measureCPU
(its something copied out of my skin)

so basicially you need 1 measure for each of your cores
and _at least_ 1 meter to display the core information (here I have 2)

so the only thing you need to do is to duplicate this and give them a unique identifier

Code: Select all

[MeasureCPU1]
Measure = CPU
Processor = 0

[MeasureCPU2]
Measure = CPU
Processor = 1

[MeterValueCPU1]
Meter = String
MeasureName = measureCPU1
Postfix = %

[MeterValueCPU2]
Meter = String
MeasureName = measureCPU2
Postfix = %

[MeterBarCPU1]
Meter = Bar
MeasureName = measureCPU1

[MeterBarCPU2]
Meter = Bar
MeasureName = measureCPU2
(pay attention to the Processor = X instruction, here you can define the different cores)

with additional information you can align these (X, Y, W, H) to your liking, but it would be easiest if you would just have copied your code here ^^
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

I think he wants to know how to move skins together without throwing them into one skin (which is rarely desirable except for the simplest skins).

There is no built-in way of doing this. As far as I know a skin can't easily determine its own position on the screen, so you can't use !Move bangs to move the others with it.

There are ways of moving skins together when you don't drag to move them but rather move them via bangs. It involves lots of !WriteKeyValue and !Refresh, but I've never tried something like that so someone who has will have to jump in here.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

MerlinTheRed wrote: There is no built-in way of doing this. As far as I know a skin can't easily determine its own position on the screen, so you can't use !Move bangs to move the others with it.
Just to be clear, you can in fact have a skin know its own position on the screen with #CURRENTCONFIGX# and #CURRENTCONFIGY#. The problem, and what makes this difficult, is that a skin can't easily know some other skin's position on the screen.
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Oh, I missed that one. Good to know.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
Xi.Cynx

Post by Xi.Cynx »

Thanks for the responses, I wish there was a way to be able to select multiple skins at the same time to be able to move them. But alas, I will make due, not a huge inconvenience. :p Thanks again! Just making sure I can make my skins as simple as possible for the people using them. :thumbup:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...said the rapist

Main Rig: i7 4770k | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | EVGA GTX 780 | Nexus 5000