It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 2:35 am

tray popup windows in Windows 7

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Alex Becherer

tray popup windows in Windows 7

Post by Alex Becherer »

does anyone know how to open those little tray popup windows in Windows 7?
Untitled-1.jpg
i just know the volume slider

Code: Select all

["%windir%\system32\sndvol.exe" -f]
but what about time, network, power and maybe action center?
UnforgivenRevival

Re: tray popup windows in Windows 7

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

Alex Becherer wrote:does anyone know how to open those little tray popup windows in Windows 7?
Untitled-1.jpg
i just know the volume slider

Code: Select all

["%windir%\system32\sndvol.exe" -f]
but what about time, network, power and maybe action center?

I dont know about those individual popups for the battery etc, But I know theres programs out there(I have one) that will open up the full systray.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I am not aware of any command that will open any "tray popup window" (I think they are called preview windows), other than the sound one. BTW LeftMouseUpAction=[sndvol -f] is easier.

I believe this is because most of those items are control panel applets (or .cpl) which is really controlled by the system (specifically "rundll32.exe shell32.dll"). The volume slider one is really just a leftover from back in the Windows 95 days.

Microsoft did shorten the way to access the control panel items by running the "control" command, which really just replaces the word "control" with "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL".

So anyway, to open the Date/Time properties you run control timedate.cpl, you can also open it starting on the second tab (which is "Additional Clocks" in Windows 7) by doing this control timedate.cpl,,1 (yes, that is 2 commas).

Date/Time: control timedate.cpl or control date/time or control /name Microsoft.DateAndTime
Network: control ncpa.cpl or control netconnections
Power: control powercfg.cpl or control /name Microsoft.PowerOptions
Advanced Power options: control powercfg.cpl,,1
Action Center: control /name Microsoft.ActionCenter

Here is a more complete list.
Here is a list of Microsoft's Canonical Names. I believe you can use most of the GUID's on this page in a shell: command like this shell:::{BB64F8A7-BEE7-4E1A-AB8D-7D8273F7FDB6}.

Note: Some of the information above only applies to Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 - or a combination of those.

-Brian
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

thanks for the answers.

i think they are called flyouts.
it is possible to open them. i once had a command at least for the time flyout, but stupid as i am i erased it from the skin's file and now i can no longer find it with Google.
it wasn't really perfect as it only showed the content without any border and opened at a random place.
these are the moments when i miss virtualplastic :-(
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

one more!

sound: ["%windir%\system32\sndvol.exe" -f]
network: ["%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe" van.dll,RunVAN]