It is currently September 30th, 2024, 1:36 am

eclipse lexer?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
dr_infernoo

eclipse lexer?

Post by dr_infernoo »

Has anyone thought of using eclipse as an IDE for more advanced Rainmeter skin suites? I can see eclipse being a good way to set up highlighting, autocompletion, and whatnot, which would come in handy for both beginners and for large suites like Enigma and Gnometer. Plus, I like eclipse :)
Kaelri
Developer

Re: eclipse lexer?

Post by Kaelri »

Never heard of it. What are the advantages of eclipse compared to, say, an enhanced text editor like Notepad++?
dr_infernoo

Post by dr_infernoo »

http://www.eclipse.org/

eclipse is an IDE for programming, usually used for Java or C++ coding. It colors keywords, folds methods, autocompletes functions and methods, organizes projects, compiles, runs, and debugs code, and all kinds of stuff. I don't know if it would be perfectly suited for Rainmeter scripts, since you don't compile them, but it might be good for the other functions.
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

I did think about using something like eclipse for Rainmeter development, but since it seemed to be a rather daunting task to write a plugin for a completely new language, I didn't ever think about trying to create one myself. Then I found RainLexer and was happy for a long time, until I stumbled across Sublime Text 2, which seems to have more options for customization. So I created the Rainmeter package for Sublime Text 2.

An eclipse plugin could be way more intelligent though, detecting for example when you are inside a section of a certain meter type and only offer autocompletions that are valid in this context, sorted by relevancy. If you know how to write eclipse plugins and feel you can do this, please, go ahead!
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
dr_infernoo

Post by dr_infernoo »

MerlinTheRed wrote:If you know how to write eclipse plugins and feel you can do this, please, go ahead!
I know how to use it, but that's a pretty long shot lol If I ever get around to it, I'll put it here :)
thatsIch

Post by thatsIch »

dr_infernoo wrote:Has anyone thought of using eclipse as an IDE for more advanced Rainmeter skin suites? I can see eclipse being a good way to set up highlighting, autocompletion, and whatnot, which would come in handy for both beginners and for large suites like Enigma and Gnometer. Plus, I like eclipse :)
imho its never good to release beginners onto eclipse..
eclipse is one of the most advanced IDEs I know out there
even advanced programmers can only utilize like 30% of that software

sure it can be usefull (syntax check, auto comp, refactoring, etc)
but I think atm using a lightweight text editor is better suited for a "simple" language as rainmeter plus you can add simple addons to your editor of your choice

afaik its a lil more complicated on eclipse.