It is currently September 30th, 2024, 1:24 am

Clipboard skin?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
UnforgivenRevival

Clipboard skin?

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

Is it possible to make a clipboard manager/skin? Im not sure if theres a way for Rainmeter to pick up whats being copied outside of rainmeter, and store it in a .txt or something, Using the quote plugin to make it work. I have an idea of what to do, Im just wondering if Rainmeter has the capabilites to do it or not.
Kaelri
Developer

Re: Clipboard skin?

Post by Kaelri »

Rainmeter has no built-in way to detect what is copied to the clipboard from other applications. You may be able to do this with an addon, using something like AutoIt or Autohotkey. This could be a complex task, though, since you'll need to distinguish different kinds of clipboard content - text, files, bitmaps, etc.
AlC

Post by AlC »

There is a clipboard manager. Take a look maybe it meets your requirements. And with AutoIt you should be able to do the addon.
Rainmeter - You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.
UnforgivenRevival

I will take a look at both the autos/ skin given. Thanks for the help both of you.
UnforgivenRevival

Its sad that skin was never kept up with. I dont like all the skins refreshing when something is copied, and that has something to do with the .exe file sending the wrong bang like others stated on that page. I downloaded the projects folder along with it, hoping to fix it and edit it and recompile to my tastes, but It seems to be more than I can chew. Ill probably see if I can write something myself through autoit or something, Unless someone knows what to do with that skin with the .exes.
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

I liked the idea, and this is what I came up with:

RainClip_0.1.rmskin
It uses the AutoIt function GetClip(), and runs the addon every five seconds. That is a little rough, but if you increase the period then the skin will be slower on catching up. I didn't notice any performance drop, but you may notice your mouse cursor flickering for a split second, as the .exe is executed. Dealbreaker? maybe, I know. The other option is to run all the time, and update the variables while in a loop. I will tinker with it tomorrow.

The skin shows text strings directly and the filenames of copied files (last five copied items). You can click on them to either copy the text or open the file.

Currently, it brakes if you copy a double quote. I tried some things, but didn't work, and I have to get some sleep. It has to be something with character escaping, and I get a headache everytime I look into a lot of quotes. So, help is needed, Lua Masters. You know who you are. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
UnforgivenRevival

I am glad there are others interested in this. Ive noticed this is one of the very few things Rainmeter and Rainmeter skins lacked in. I will test out your skin and mess with it and see if I can come up with anything, good or bad, and let you know.

Edit: A couple of things I noticed right off the bat is it doesnt save the content when unloading/reloading/refreshing the skin. It only saves the most recent "current" clip, and when you copy stuff with "returns(#CRLF#)" it clips the string and all you will see is half of the copied text with the "..."s Ill fix and share the code if you want.
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

UnforgivenRevival wrote: Edit: A couple of things I noticed right off the bat is it doesnt save the content when unloading/reloading/refreshing the skin. It only saves the most recent "current" clip, and when you copy stuff with "returns(#CRLF#)" it clips the string and all you will see is half of the copied text with the "..."s Ill fix and share the code if you want.
Yes, it doesn't save anything, but that would be easy, so I left it now for a proof of concept release. Right now it's working here, so I will upload a now version when I find the time today. As for the clipped text, I didn't know how to handle many lines of code, so I designed a small meter (thus the clipping). How would you do it? Please yes, share any code recommendations. :)

Desktop DeviartArt
UnforgivenRevival

Well, I was thinking you could remove the "returns" when you copy using a substitute.

Code: Select all

Substitute="#CRLF#":" "
But I tried that with no luck. I'm probably doing something wrong. :confused: I just didnt like how sometimes it wouldnt show anything but "...", if you copied in the right spot with returns. a tooltip giving the clip variable does help some, but isnt ideal. Ive been using a program called ClipCube version 0.2.2 for years, and was looking for something close to that. I use a taskbar hider now so its a pain to use clipcube, sitting in the tasktray hiding away. :p
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

UnforgivenRevival wrote:Well, I was thinking you could remove the "returns" when you copy using a substitute. Substitute="#CRLF#":" " But I tried that with no luck. I'm probably doing something wrong. :confused:
The variables are set using lua, but the variable content comes straight from AutoIt, with any newlines embedded. If you substituted the new lines out when setting the variable, then the displayed/re-copied (with !SetClip) text wouldn't be the same as the original. These are some limitations that have to be endured. After all, it's just a skin, not a program. :)

The tooltip option is a nice idea, but I think it will be impractical in large pieces of text. I 'll try it, though, maybe with some clipping through lua.
UnforgivenRevival wrote: I use a taskbar hider now so its a pain to use clipcube, sitting in the tasktray hiding away. :p
You can use santa_ryan addon that opens the system tray upon clicking. Then it would be two clicks away.

Desktop DeviartArt