It is currently May 1st, 2024, 3:47 am

IPV6 address

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Muff

IPV6 address

Post by Muff »

Hello All,

I am new to Rainmeter, I would like to create a skin that will allow me to display the IPV6 address of the relevant machine.

Whilst this is possible using the webparser plugin, I would like to know if there are any other methods of getting the local IPV6 address without having to connect to a URL, in the same way as IPV4 works.

My task is to develop a widget style icon which would run on a terminal (thin client). This terminal does not have access to the internet (WAN). I have looked at reading from the registry, with no luck.

Hope this makes sense.

R
Muff
KreAch3R

Re: IPV6 address

Post by KreAch3R »

I don't think that is possible, as you need the router's external IP. That can be seen only from the Internet, I think. Besides that, why would you need to display the router's external IP in a machine that ins't connected to the Internet? :???:

I can think of two ways:
  1. Your router configuration page may contain the external IP address. If the thin client is connected to the router, then you might be able to parse that.
  2. If this machine is in some sort of network with another PC that is connected to the Internet, I guess that you could use that PC to write the external IP to a shared file and then parse that file with Webparser in the thin client.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
Muff

Post by Muff »

Thank you for replying..

I am beginning to think it's a wasted effort, I was given the task to write a widget style UI for the companies terminals to display local info:

Spec:
· IPV4 Address (30 second refresh)
· IPV6 Address (30 second refresh)
· Host Name
· VNC Install Present (tick or x to confirm)
· Dameware Present (tick or x to confirm)

I don't need to display the routers external IP address, I am aiming to display the machine's link local IPV6 address (fe80::...). I have wrote similar code in C# which was extremely easy using Dns.GetHostEntry(hostString); which loops through all the IP addresses assigned to the machine (IPV4 / IPV6) with no problem.
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

You could always try to write your own Rainmeter Plugin. If you already have the code, perhaps it's not much effort.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

In the meantime, here is a little skin that will get the "Link-local IPv6 Address" using a little AutoIt addon that creates a text file with the information from ipconfig.exe. The skin then parses this file with WebParser and file:// to get the address and display it.

Adding the "local" IPv6 address to the Rainmeter SysInfo functionality is something we will be looking at, but for now something like this should work.
IPv6_1.0.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

Ah, I totally missed the local IPv6 option. I hope jsmorley's addon does what you want. :)
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
Muff

Post by Muff »

@jsmorley: perfect - thank you very much.

@KreAch3R: thank you for your advice.

Excellent support forum!!

R
Muff
Muff

Post by Muff »

Hi again,

Thank you for the solution provided earlier, sorry for the delay I have been away this week.

In the main the update function works as needed, the only issue is with updating the IP address.

I would ideally like the update to work without user interaction as it seems the widget needs to be manually refreshed for the IP to update.

If I was to start the widget with the network cable connected then all is well and the network address is updated. The problem starts when the network cable is disconnected - the PC looses it's network address. The widget only appears to recognise there is no IP address when it has been manually refreshed, not seemlessly as I had hoped for like the IPV4 address.

I've tried playing around with the OnRefreshAction, in some way trying to make an update refresh on a 30 second cycle.

Am I missing something or does the OnRefreshAction only work if the widget is manually refreshed?

R
Muff
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

OnRefreshAction is executed whenever the skin is refreshed. It doesn't refresh the skin itself (that would create an infinite loop). You could try something like this to refresh the skin every 30 seconds (or do something else):

Code: Select all

[MeasureCycle]
Measure=Calc
Formula=1-MeasureCalc
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=!Refresh
IfBelowValue=1
IfBelowAction=!Refresh
UpdateDivider=30
This is assuming you have an Update=1000. It will basically alternate between 0 and 1 and therefore execute the IfActions in turn.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!