It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 10:42 pm

Internet usage EXCLUDING intranet usage.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
UnforgivenRevival

Internet usage EXCLUDING intranet usage.

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

Is there any way for rainmeter to keep track of the internet usage, Without including all the bits and bytes transferred between local computers and router(Intranet).. etc, Or is this something that cant happen? is this even possible? Right now, All internet counters in rainmeter seem to keep track of all the little insignificant data transfer within the intranet along with internet usage, Along with network file sharing traffic, Which can be alot if streaming a video from another computer or something, Throwing off the counters. I was just wondering if its possible and what to enter into code for this.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Internet usage EXCLUDING intranet usage.

Post by jsmorley »

UnforgivenRevival wrote:Is there any way for rainmeter to keep track of the internet usage, Without including all the bits and bytes transferred between local computers and router(Intranet).. etc, Or is this something that cant happen? is this even possible? Right now, All internet counters in rainmeter seem to keep track of all the little insignificant data transfer within the intranet along with internet usage, Throwing off the counters to a point. I was just wondering if its possible and what to enter into code for this.
It is not possible unless you can access some log file for your router that breaks it out that way and hit that with WebParser.
UnforgivenRevival

I was thinking of that possibility too, But that might also include intranet traffic. Im not even sure if my netgear router has that ability to track outgoing traffic. It would also determine all the outgoing and incoming traffic for all computers on the network, Not just my own.

The big thing is file streaming. Throws everything off greatly in some cases, If streaming a 4 gb dvd iso or something crazy like that.

any way to exclude IP addresses in its count? this would probably be the way to go.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

UnforgivenRevival wrote:I was thinking of that possibility too, But that might also include intranet traffic. Im not even sure if my netgear router has that ability to track outgoing traffic. It would also determine all the outgoing and incoming traffic for all computers on the network, Not just my own.

The big thing is file streaming. Throws everything off greatly in some cases, If streaming a 4 gb dvd iso or something crazy like that.

any way to exclude IP addresses in its count? this would probably be the way to go.
Nope. NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal just measure the bytes in and out of your NIC. That would include all traffic between you and the internet, you and other devices, really you and the router in general. What it does not include is traffic between other devices on your network. If you are looking to track "internet usage" for your computer or even more so "internet usage" for your entire network, that is just not possible.
UnforgivenRevival

Okay. It was worth a shot to ask. Thanks anyway
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

As far as "internet traffic" for your entire network, there is always the possibility that your ISP provides some web-based tracking of that you might be able to get to. Almost certainly not easy however, as it is likely to require a login / cookie and you would probably need some cURL script or something to get the info somewhere that WebParser could get at.
UnforgivenRevival

Yes, I have a total network usage feed from my Crappy ISPs modem, Hughesnet, Which shows the remaining usage of 600 mbs a day(pathetic, but only available option besides dial-up for now). I created a webparser feed for that, But that shows for the entire network like you said. I was just wondering if it was possible through rainmeter to determine one computers usage similar to that like my modem.