It is currently May 4th, 2024, 12:07 am

is the Twitter plugin still in development?

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Alex Becherer

is the Twitter plugin still in development?

Post by Alex Becherer »

i was just wondering
poiru
Developer

Re: is the Twitter plugin still in development?

Post by poiru »

It is. It has been more or less done for several months now, but I keep procrastinating on the finishing touches :? I'll try to get it done during the 2.4 beta cycle.
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

cool.

i wonder how you do it. i am by no means a developer, but i could imagine an other, more open, plugin.
a modification of the webparser plugin that logs you in at a site (username & password fields probably to be defined by the user with regular expressions) and then downloads the start page of a website, so it can be parsed locally.
this way pretty much every site could be used and being open it would be easy to react if the provider changes something.
(i want something like that for my tumblr dashboard)
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

I believe (someone must have said it before) it makes use of the oAuth method of indentification, provided by many modern sites, including twitter. It's more than sending the userid and password to the site; in fact, they try to prevent that, for security risks. Unfortunately, I think that the way you propose doesn't follow the common security standards of the web now, so the only way I see that Rainmeter can support logging in procedures is by developing different plugins for the most famous sites.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

The main limitation of WebParser right now is that it has virtually no support for what are now standard browser features: cookies, authentication credentials, HTTPS, etc. There have been proposals to augment or replace WebParser using the cURL library or something similar, but of course the implementation of persistent user data is a challenge, since we need to figure out how to store and manage that data.

In addition, with something like Twitter, a dedicated plugin is better anyway, since we can skip the website and get data straight from the Twitter API, which is meant for exactly that purpose.
dv-ent

Post by dv-ent »

poiru wrote:It is. It has been more or less done for several months now, but I keep procrastinating on the finishing touches :? I'll try to get it done during the 2.4 beta cycle.

..any more news on this ?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

dv-ent wrote:..any more news on this ?
Unfortunately, no. I am not sure if I will continue development as Twitter has been rather hostile on developers lately (for example, see this). In any case, there are a few other things I want to get done first.
moshi

Post by moshi »

would it be possible to make the API-key user-dependent instead of being hardcoded in the plugin?
so that every user would run a different client that would not reach the token limit.