It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 10:24 am

How to customize sidebar in Omnimo?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
robsamui

How to customize sidebar in Omnimo?

Post by robsamui »

Hi everyone.

I've just discovered Rainmeter and Omnimo - amazing.

I'm a newby here so please be patient - what would make this perfect for me is if I could customize the sidebar to include folders of my own choosing and add the programs that I use regularly - all on this one sidebar interface.

I've scanned the forum topics but can find no clues - can anyone let me have some step-by-step instructions on how to do this please?

Thanks in anticipation,

Rob
KreAch3R

Re: How to customize sidebar in Omnimo?

Post by KreAch3R »

Omnimo is a huge suite with great customization options. Are you sure that you read their manual and you didn't find what you 've expected? If Omnimo doesn't support what you want, then you have to do it manually, and it 'll take you more time and a bit of reading.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
Timid

Post by Timid »

robsamui

Post by robsamui »

KreAch3R wrote:Omnimo is a huge suite with great customization options. Are you sure that you read their manual and you didn't find what you 've expected? If Omnimo doesn't support what you want, then you have to do it manually, and it 'll take you more time and a bit of reading.
Hi - I looked through the "manual" and it was like trying to read a printed circuit diagram in Chinese! I did say I was a newbie! I was rather hoping that someone here might say something like "click on the spanner and open the ini file and change the whatever line to something . . . "

But seemingly not.

Thanks anyway

R
robsamui

Post by robsamui »

Timid wrote:Hi Rob.
Maybe this can help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxEtgL-LNs&feature=youtu.be
Seems that it cant be watched outside of America . . .

"This video contains content from UMG and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

R
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

robsamui wrote: Hi - I looked through the "manual" and it was like trying to read a printed circuit diagram in Chinese! I did say I was a newbie! I was rather hoping that someone here might say something like "click on the spanner and open the ini file and change the whatever line to something . . . "

But seemingly not.

Thanks anyway

R
Which manual was too difficult to read? Rainmeter Manual contains information for a huge audience, so it's true it can be daunting at times. Rainmeter 101 is targeted for beginners, you should read that first before everything else you read about Rainmeter.

Besides that, I was talking about Omnimo manual - help page, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. They have a webpage, and provide an online manual, that you can access both from your browser and the Omnimo suite. Take a look here.

Regarding your question.
When I first loaded Omnimo Suite and after setting up my language, screen resolution etc, I was presented this screen:

Where you can clearly see how to change sidebar settings:

If this isn't clear enough, you have to click the settings icon depicted below, and it will open the Configure Window, where you can change any variable you want:

The video posted by Timid is showing the same thing, and I can watch it outside America, try watching it with other browsers / different youtube settings.

I hope this is clear enough. I would like to comment though, that the dominant principle regarding new users is teaching, not nurturing. That said, I am glad to help you explore and learn anything I know about Rainmeter.

Desktop DeviartArt
robsamui

Post by robsamui »

KreAch3R wrote: Which manual was too difficult to read? Rainmeter Manual contains information for a huge audience, so it's true it can be daunting at times. Rainmeter 101 is targeted for beginners, you should read that first before everything else you read about Rainmeter.

Besides that, I was talking about Omnimo manual - help page, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. They have a webpage, and provide an online manual, that you can access both from your browser and the Omnimo suite. Take a look here.

Regarding your question.
When I first loaded Omnimo Suite and after setting up my language, screen resolution etc, I was presented this screen:

Where you can clearly see how to change sidebar settings:

If this isn't clear enough, you have to click the settings icon depicted below, and it will open the Configure Window, where you can change any variable you want:

The video posted by Timid is showing the same thing, and I can watch it outside America, try watching it with other browsers / different youtube settings.

I hope this is clear enough. I would like to comment though, that the dominant principle regarding new users is teaching, not nurturing. That said, I am glad to help you explore and learn anything I know about Rainmeter.
Thanks - your reply is excellent, has given me hope, (I was set to delete the whole shebang), put me straight, and has been a great help! I'm off to explore!

Many thanks,

R
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

I'm glad to help. :) Welcome to Rainmeter.

Desktop DeviartArt
robsamui

Post by robsamui »

Hi again.
Hmm.
I've been playing with this for several hours now and there seems to be one small failing.
The tutorial is fine in that it reveals that the sidebar can be configured. But nowhere does it explain HOW it can be configured and how to do this. I can only assume that whoever wrote the tutorial assumed that everyone reading it would instinctively know how . . .

For example clicking on the spanner (change sidebar settings) results in a pop-out with 'close' and 'set' at the bottom. It seems to me a hit and miss process as to what each of the heading mean - 'appname', 'appaction' etc.

'appaction' actually refers to the name of the executable file rather than any sort of 'action' that it performs and changing this to another file name makes no difference to what shows up on the headings in the side bar - certainly using the 'set' button after making changes has no effect.

Do I need to have some sort of qualification in programming to set this all up? I was using Windows Blinds before with XP and it was laid out with a VERY understandable graphic interface that was quick to learn. This is a nightmare!

rob

robsamui wrote: Thanks - your reply is excellent, has given me hope, (I was set to delete the whole shebang), put me straight, and has been a great help! I'm off to explore!

Many thanks,

R
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Have you read http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101 ? You absolutely should, if you haven't already. You don't have to do the skin tutorials but at least read the rest. It will become clearer how Rainmeter works and you might understand more of the instructions some skin authors give you.

Rainmeter is not an application like Window Blinds that just lets you apply themes. It is more like a framework for creating skins and using ones others have created. This means that you will find some skins that are very carefully designed so people without any clue about how Rainmeter works can use them. Most skin authors however don't take the time to do this, meaning you need to know a little bit about Rainmeter coding to use the skins. Even if you don't have an affinity to programming, it's not that hard to learn the basics and it shouldn't take much time. Reading through the tutorials will greatly help this process.

Regarding Omnimo: It's a very large skin suite and I guess a lot of people come to Rainmeter through it. It's interesting to note though, that the creators of Omnimo don't seem to have a lot of contact to the Rainmeter community that is organized in this official forum. This means if you need help regarding Omnimo specifically, contacting the creators of Omnimo directly will possibly give you faster and more reliable results than asking here, because here you would have to hope that somebody knows about Omnimo and how it works.

Sorry for wall of text. I got carried away. Short summary:
1. Knowing a little about Rainmeter "programming" helps a lot and isn't hard to learn.
2. Rainmeter skins are created by a large number of different people and usability of those skins varies dramatically.
3. If you have problems with a skin, asking the authors directly is a good idea most of the time. Omnimo authors aren't on these forums (at least as far as I know).
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!