It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:30 pm

Launcher.exe in r1448 beta

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
bmaxxd

Launcher.exe in r1448 beta

Post by bmaxxd »

The latest beta installs a new executable Launcher.exe 8.00KB (8,192 bytes) into "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter".
I couldn't find any reference to it in the ChangeLog, so I was wondering what it is for? I am using Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.
The forum search capability is currently unavailable
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Launcher.exe in r1448 beta

Post by jsmorley »

It is part of a process of improving how various components of Rainmeter are installed where they are kept. This is a work in progress at this point. We hope to have everything fully fleshed out by next week.

The goal is to reduce or eliminate all issues with UAC when using Rainmeter, make creating a .rmskin to distribute skins much simpler, make using custom fonts, plugins and addons much easier and more reliable.

We are not ready to go in to all the details just yet as they may still change a little, but that Launcher.exe is actually a stub of Rainmeter.exe, which when Rainmeter is installed, will be copied to your %APPDATA%\Rainmeter folder as "Rainmeter.exe". All it does when run is launch Rainmeter if it is not running. It will be used to support backwards compatibility for "addons" that are looking for Rainmeter.exe to be at "..\..\Rainmeter.exe" now that we are moving the addons folder to %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\Addons.

In general at this point it is nothing to worry about really. We will have a lot more details on the changes and hopefully a couple of nice surprises next weekend...
bmaxxd

Post by bmaxxd »

Thank you for your excellent & prompt response jsmorley.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

We've used a few tricks to remove the need for Launcher.exe. It will be gone in the next beta release :)