It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 9:24 pm

Launch PPPoE via Mouseaction

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Neoweb

Launch PPPoE via Mouseaction

Post by Neoweb »

Dear Community

I started to play with Rainmeter and started creating my own skin(s).

I have a WinXP system still running nearly daily which goes online via a WinXP standard PPPoE dial-up.

I want to get rid of the ugly desktop icon and want to create my own skin for this.

A basic function would be simply an execute command to prompt the PPPoE login window.

More advanced (I would appreciate) would be a skin, that really launches the PPPoE (and shuts down on a second click) without prompting the user authentication page.

hope you can help me along.

TYIA
KreAch3R

Re: Launch PPPoE via Mouseaction

Post by KreAch3R »

Dial up still exists?! O.O

Sorry, I had to say that. :) If I remember correctly (too young), the icon you press is a shortcut, right? You can execute shortcuts (a.k.a programs, .exe's) with rainmeter, that's sure, using the "!Execute" bang. Right click the shortcut, and find the program's original location. Then use that for the !bang. I don't know if you will be able to create the second part, though.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I've haven't confirmed this but a Google search leads me to pages that say you should be able to uncheck "Prompt for user name and password" in the Properties window for that connection. That should dial without the popup window.

You might consider using nircmd for your open/close idea. The commands rasdial and rashangup seem to be meant for that.
Neoweb

Post by Neoweb »

First of all thank you guys for quick replies. really appreciated!

@KreAch3R: I´ll explain a bit. if you wanna go back to the early of online access or IT, and want to get in touch with Win95 in a real working environment, hire on a huge transportation vessel cruising over the big sea´s of the world. :-)
In the maritime market PPPoE is still the most used way to open up an IP channel using mobile broadband satellite devices. here the MB still costs a pretty penny of around 10$.
you see, PPPoE is still used by thousands of computers.

@dragonmage: thank for your the hide tip. i figured it out directly after you told it. just to understand correctly. the PPPoE setup must be done within windows first i guess, and seems logical for me.
what would be the command for the mouse over?
something like this:

Code: Select all

LeftMouseDownAction=!execute nircmd.exe rasdial "My PPPoE" 
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

That should work if nircmd.exe is in your Windows folder. If you want to make it more portable you can put it in your skin folder and use Built-in Variables to define the path, but for your personal needs having it in the Windows folder should suffice.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Neoweb, be sure to use the square brackets with !Execute (i.e. !Execute ["prog.exe" args]).
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Yeah, I didn't notice they were missing.
Neoweb

Post by Neoweb »

Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies and comments.

I just tried it manually via cmd.exe

RASdial [**] and RASdial [**] /disconnect works without the need of NirCmd.

Great and thanks again for your great help!!
Neoweb

Post by Neoweb »

Hi again

hhm I think I am starting to be anoying.
do you have a tip for me how i can put both commands in one skin?
meaning that i would just need to click on e.g. the same icon to start the PPPoE and to shut it down again?
this is something i did not find for now.