It is currently May 6th, 2024, 3:15 pm

Looking to replace folder icons on my desktop

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Cheese Chaos

Looking to replace folder icons on my desktop

Post by Cheese Chaos »

I've seen many skins online that have variations of one of those app launching docks. I'm wanting to use some similar implementation to reduce some of the clutter on my desktop. I have a few questions with regards to Rainmeter being used as one of these docks.

1. Can Bangs launch folders, or are they limited to applications? Is there something else Rainmeter can use to launch folders?
2. Is it possible to use the "Drag and Drop" technique to move/copy files? (dropping over the Rainmeter skin.)
3. Is there a way to get some of the right click functionality folders might normally have?
4. Are any of the above things possible with only Rainmeter? I've seen several skins come with instructions to download other programs. I'm wondering where Rainmeter's capabilities as a dock end and where outside programs become necessary.
r0k

Re: Looking to replace folder icons on my desktop

Post by r0k »

Cheese Chaos wrote: 1. Can Bangs launch folders, or are they limited to applications? Is there something else Rainmeter can use to launch folders?
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute [Path\To\Folder]
You can also launch Windows Special Folders
2. Is it possible to use the "Drag and Drop" technique to move/copy files? (dropping over the Rainmeter skin.)
Not with Rainmeter alone. There is a trick with an additional Open Source application.I can't find the thread right now.Found it
3. Is there a way to get some of the right click functionality folders might normally have?
RightMouseUpAction=!Execute ...
You can only have one action this way. If you want more with RM alone you need to show an additional skin with several meters and <LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute...> to simulate the right-click menu
4. Are any of the above things possible with only Rainmeter? I've seen several skins come with instructions to download other programs. I'm wondering where Rainmeter's capabilities as a dock end and where outside programs become necessary.
Rainmeter falls short pretty soon when it comes to file system navigation. There is an old and no longer developped plugin that can help you but i found it pretty unstable on my system (it's there). I've built a very simple file navigator that can be shown in a skin with AutoHotKey but it's very rough as are several other "addons" i'm working on. Give me a little more time and i might be able to put something together or use one of the available free launchers/docks (i've read Rocket Dock is very good and in the pas i've used Object Dock free)
Cheese Chaos

Re: Looking to replace folder icons on my desktop

Post by Cheese Chaos »

Thanks for the response. I guess I can try out what Rainmeter is capable of doing for a bit to see if I can get used to it. Since I've run into Rainmeter, I've been wanting to customize more and more. I've been trying to stay away from using multiple little programs from all over the place. I think I'm worried about things becoming outdated and not functioning properly over time.

I've got some novice to intermediate programming experience, so I may try developing some of my own things eventually. I'll have to do quite a bit of research on how Windows runs because I'm really in the dark on most things. I look forward to seeing what you might come up with.