It is currently May 7th, 2024, 1:50 am

Is there a way to enable/disable or show/hide skins?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Cheese Chaos

Is there a way to enable/disable or show/hide skins?

Post by Cheese Chaos »

I've only worked with Bangs briefly. I used them to enable/disable various measures and show/hide various meters.

I currently have an idea for a suite that involves several skins. The first skin is already set up. It's a single vertical bar that displays a bunch of quick information. I tried to keep this bar minimalistic in what it displays.

I now want to have the ability to display extra information for the different sections on the vertical bar. For instance, on the vertical bar there's a section that shows the percentage used of two different hard drives. When I click on the meters related to hard drives, I want to open a new skin off to the side that will display much more detailed information like read/write rates and extra graphs.

I can see how I would be able to do this if I kept everything in one skin, but I want to make each chunk of extra information into a new skin. Is there a way to load a different skin after interacting with a meter in the first skin?

In the manual I see some Bangs that take configs as parameters. I was wondering if this is what I would use. Or would this just disable my first skin and enable a different config for the skin?
Last edited by Cheese Chaos on April 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smurfier

Re: Is there a way to enable/disable or show/hide skins?

Post by smurfier »

All of theses bangs are used to activate or deactivate a config.

!ActivateConfig Config/Name/Here SkinFile.ini
!DeactivateConfig Config/Name/Here
!ToggleConfig Config/Name/Here

Having the new (child) skin open relative to a different skin is a whole different beast. You would have to open the skin then use the !Move bang (from the parent skin) to move it to different coordinates. While this isn't difficult, it won't be seamless. The new skin will jump to it's new position.

!Move (#CURRENTCONFIGX#+#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH#) (#CURRENTCONFIGY#) Config/Name/Here

Note: To use formulas with the move bang you will need to be using Rainmeter 2.3 beta.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
Cheese Chaos

Post by Cheese Chaos »

Awesome, I'm going to play around with it a bit.

I had another question about having shared variables and measures across all my skins, but I found the @Include page in the manual. I'll see if I can get that to work.

While on the subject, would forum moderators prefer that I start a new thread when I have a different question? Or should I just keep asking different questions I have while in the same thread?
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

If your question is related to the topic of the thread, then ask in that thread. Otherwise it is better to have a new thread for something "new".

-Brian
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

smurfier wrote:All of theses bangs are used to activate or deactivate a config.

!ActivateConfig Config/Name/Here SkinFile.ini
!DeactivateConfig Config/Name/Here
!ToggleConfig Config/Name/Here

Having the new (child) skin open relative to a different skin is a whole different beast. You would have to open the skin then use the !Move bang (from the parent skin) to move it to different coordinates. While this isn't difficult, it won't be seamless. The new skin will jump to it's new position.

!Move (#CURRENTCONFIGX#+#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH#) (#CURRENTCONFIGY#) Config/Name/Here

Note: To use formulas with the move bang you will need to be using Rainmeter 2.3 beta.
Or with the latest beta...

Code: Select all

OnRefreshAction=!Execute [!WriteKeyValue Parent\Child WindowX (#CURRENTCONFIGX#+150) "#SETTINGSPATH#\Rainmeter.ini"][!WriteKeyValue Parent\Child WindowY (#CURRENTCONFIGY#+10) "#SETTINGSPATH#\Rainmeter.ini"]
OnCloseAction=!Execute [!DeactivateConfig Parent\Child]
Then each time your main config is refreshed it sets the new position of your "child" config. So if you reposition your main config just be sure to refresh once before opening the child. If we eventually end up with an OnMoveAction we might be able do away with the refresh.

P.S. It appears #CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH# does not work with DynamicWindowSize=1 so you need to know the width of the skin so you can add the proper amount to #CURRENTCONFIGX#
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH# and the like are dynamic. To my knowledge, dynamic variables cannot be used in the Rainmeter section of skins. They will change value with the skin, but only their initial value will be used when called as posted above.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

smurfier wrote:#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH# and the like are dynamic. To my knowledge, dynamic variables cannot be used in the Rainmeter section of skins. They will change value with the skin, but only their initial value will be used when called as posted above.
Correct. The manual is specific about the few variables that may not be used in [Rainmeter].

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

True enough. P.S. is stricken. Everything else works though. :)