It is currently May 23rd, 2024, 1:48 am

Use of "r" and "R" with right justified, dynamic string

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
davidross

Use of "r" and "R" with right justified, dynamic string

Post by davidross »

I'm trying to maintain a meter-image a couple of pixels to the left of a dynamic, right-justified (expands to the left) meter-string (weather description). I can't seem to accomplish that with the use of either "r" or "R" - neither keeps the image a fixed distance from the expanding left-edge of the text. Any advice?
Arne Anka

Re: Use of "r" and "R" with right justified, dynamic string

Post by Arne Anka »

davidross wrote:I'm trying to maintain a meter-image a couple of pixels to the left of a dynamic, right-justified (expands to the left) meter-string (weather description). I can't seem to accomplish that with the use of either "r" or "R" - neither keeps the image a fixed distance from the expanding left-edge of the text. Any advice?
Maybe X=-5r will work?? :confused:
Livet är bara en period man ska överleva.
Som filosoferna säger: man föds, man lever och man dör ensam...
davidross

Post by davidross »

That was roughly the first thing I tried but it doesn't work. It seems that for both pos and neg values of r and R, the position is set with respect to the right edge of the string which doesn't change in this case. But thank you.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

r will always be the X/Y value of the meter directly above it in the code. When you right justify a string the X coordinate defines where the right side of the string will be. Unless you move your string meter, the coordinate provided by r will always be the right side of the string.

If the above information does not help you, posting your skin code for us to look at might.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
davidross

Post by davidross »

Smurfier, based on what you wrote, r or R won't work in this case because I want the meter it's associated with to maintain a fixed distance from the left edge of the variable length, right-justified meter-string directly above it in the code. Can this be done some other way?
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

You could use .lua and string.len to measure the length of the string and make it !bang the correct X value.
Something like this (part of my code for sth else):

Code: Select all

if string.len(tTitles[iCurrentItem]) < 60 then
	SKIN:Bang('!SetVariable "Height" "25r"')
end
Basically, you would have to insert the description measure inside .lua, use string.len to count the length, and then use a !bang with a length-relative X value.

I don't know if that's the easy or only way, though.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
r0k

Post by r0k »

String.len will return the lenght in characters. As an I and a an M will have a different (pixel) size, that would only be a rough approximation unless the type used is monospace. Most of the time, they are not the best looking fonts.

Better than nothing i suppose.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There is no way to get the length in pixels of a "string" in Rainmeter, however you can get the "width" in pixels of the entire meter displaying a string. Don't know if this is of any help, I have not been following this thread closely, but perhaps using some of this functionality can get you closer to what you want.

Code: Select all

function Initialize()

mtMeterOne = SKIN:GetMeter('MeterOne')
	mtMeterTwo = SKIN:GetMeter('MeterTwo')

end -->Initialize

function Update()

local MeterOneW = mtMeterOne:GetW()
   local MeterOneX = mtMeterOne:GetX()

mtMeterTwo:SetX(MeterOneX + MeterOneW)

return "Done"

end -->Update
davidross

Post by davidross »

Thank you all for your help with this. I'll try a .lua script.