It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 3:40 pm

Background Size Problem

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Adrian0121

Background Size Problem

Post by Adrian0121 »

Hi all,

I just started out with Rainmeter and I'm trying to imitate someone else's clock skin (called Elegant). I'm having trouble because a square is created as a background and I can't make it go away! I want to be able to drag the skin closer to the edge of my desktop, but the background is getting in the way. I feel like I've tried everything, but nothing I can come up with will work. Here is my code so far (feel free to correct any other errors too!)

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Author=Adrian Andronic
BackgroundMode=0
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[MeasureTime1]
Measure=Time
TimeZone=-6.0
Format=%I

[MeasureTime2]
Measure=Time
TimeZone=-6.0
Format=%M

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Background]
Meter=Image
ImageName=clock_big01.png
SolidColor=0,0,0,255
X=0
Y=0
W=260
H=456

[MeterLine1]
Meter=Image
SolidColor=255,255,255,170
X=0
Y=5
W=100
H=2

[MeterHours]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTime1
SolidColor=0,0,0
FontFace="ITC Avant Garde Pro XLt"
FontSize=165
FontColor=255,255,255,170
Text=%1
AntiAlias=1
The link to the image is just a white rectangle that's 260 by 456. I thought that setting BackgroundMode=0 would allow me to create my own size background using an image. Was I wrong? Also the random white line is supposed to go at the top. Any help fixing this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Adrian
Mordasius

Re: Background Size Problem

Post by Mordasius »

I'm not sure whether I understand your problem or not, but if what you want to do is get rid of the white rectangle that's 260 by 456 pixels, you can just delete or comment out the statements that specify the rectangle in the [Background] image meter. The size of your background will then be determined by the size of the image named clock_big01.png which needs to be in the same folder as the skin.ini file. So the [Background] image meter becomes:

[Background]
Meter=Image
ImageName=clock_big01.png
;SolidColor=0,0,0,255
;X=0
;Y=0
;W=260
;H=456
Adrian0121

Post by Adrian0121 »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I want the 260 by 456 rectangle to be the background, and I want it to be transparent. I removed the [Background] code from what I initially gave above and attached an image of my desktop to show the problem I'm having. The transparent one on the right is what I'm going for, and the one next to it with the black box is what I'm getting. With those dimensions of the black box I can't put the skin as close to to edge of the desktop as I would like. I made it black to make results visible if I somehow managed to fix it. My goal is either to be able to change the size of that black box, or get rid of it and assign the 260 by 456 image to be the background.

This is the code:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
Author=Adrian Andronic

[MeasureTime1]
Measure=Time
TimeZone=-6.0
Format=%I

[MeasureTime2]
Measure=Time
TimeZone=-6.0
Format=%M

[MeterLine1]
Meter=Image
SolidColor=255,255,255,170
X=0
Y=0
W=100
H=2

[MeterHours]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTime1
SolidColor=0,0,0
FontSize=165
Text=%1
AntiAlias=1
Thanks,
Adrian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Do you mean you want the text closer to the left? or top?

If that is your problem, then it is easily solved by defining a X and Y to your meter.

Here is an example:

[MeterHours]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTime1
SolidColor=0,0,0
FontSize=165
Text=%1
AntiAlias=1
X=-45
Y=-35
This will place the text toward the top, and the left.

-Brian
Adrian0121

Post by Adrian0121 »

I hadn't thought of that, but although it helps a bit, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Can I directly change the dimensions of the black box to get rid of the border it leaves around the numbers? Also, why aren't the numbers placed in the top left with X=0 and Y=0? I thought that was the default. Why do I have to use negative numbers to get the numbers to the top left?
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Adrian0121 wrote:Can I directly change the dimensions of the black box to get rid of the border it leaves around the numbers?
Yes, with W= and H=, but if you use too small of a number, your text will be cut off.
Adrian0121 wrote:Also, why aren't the numbers placed in the top left with X=0 and Y=0?
It's a font size issue. The bigger the font, the more offset it becomes.

-Brian
Adrian0121

Post by Adrian0121 »

Ahh of course! It makes so much more sense now. Don't know what I was doing earlier.

Thanks!
Adrian
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Try right-click->Settings->Uncheck "Keep on screen". That should enable you to drag the skin out of the screen.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!