It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 1:52 am

Possible bug when installing skin

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Brian
Developer

Possible bug when installing skin

Post by Brian »

I got an error when I tried to install Faradey's Slide Switch 1.1 over the previous version 1.0. I downloaded the skin, double clicked the .rmskin, and this popped up:
Error2.JPG
Once, I clicked Ok, this popped up:
Error3.JPG
Then Rainmeter exited. I started Rainmeter once again, and everything seemed to work fine, but no Slide Switch in my skins directory. I then tried to install it once again, and got the same result. So, the next time I tried installing the skin when Rainmeter was not running, and everything worked fine.

-Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arne Anka

Re: Possible bug when installing skin

Post by Arne Anka »

Brian wrote:I got an error when I tried to install Faradey's Slide Switch 1.1
Maybe because of a spelling error in the file? Tamplate instead of Template. :draw:
Livet är bara en period man ska överleva.
Som filosoferna säger: man föds, man lever och man dör ensam...
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I thought that too, but his first version worked fine and it had "Tamplate" too.

I only thing I can think of is that SkinInstaller is deleting the "previous" Slide Switch folder before the backup is complete.

Also, the file size is a lot bigger in SlideSwitch1.1 versus 1.0 - so that may play a role as well.

-Brian
~Faradey~

Post by ~Faradey~ »

Brian wrote:I thought that too, but his first version worked fine and it had "Tamplate" too.

I only thing I can think of is that SkinInstaller is deleting the "previous" Slide Switch folder before the backup is complete.

Also, the file size is a lot bigger in SlideSwitch1.1 versus 1.0 - so that may play a role as well.

-Brian
Skin's developer here)
I had the same problem on other skins and this behavior is really rare and sometimes after such error i run install again and everything goes fine. And this makes me think about some access problems..i mean, some process (Rainmeter for example) is blocking the file and preventing from deleting (or what it should do with it when updating) it...may be i'm wrong :???:

Just tried to install version 1.2 over already installed 1.2 = get same error (when i run installer Rainmeter is autoexiting btw) but when i run it again all was fine ^^) it a little strange)
Arne Anka wrote:Maybe because of a spelling error in the file? Tamplate instead of Template. :draw:
oops) but i think it not plays any role in installing skins and as far as i know this folder is not necessary and skin's file will work without it as good as with)