It is currently May 6th, 2024, 3:50 pm

Beginner Question!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
alexaa7x

Beginner Question!

Post by alexaa7x »

Hey guys,

I'm completely new here and I was working on making a CPU usage skin. I got it to the point where I can save it and put it on my desktop to see but I can't figure out how to do so. I have the .ini folder saved, and it the right place (at least I think so), my problem is, is that it's not showing up in my "manage rainmeter" for me to load it.

There's a pic of what it looks like, can't get my "Skins" folder, over to the manage window on the right. Thank you!
Mordasius

Re: Beginner Question!

Post by Mordasius »

Have you tried clicking the button which says "Refresh All"? (Bottom Left in the Manage Rainmeter window)
alexaa7x

Post by alexaa7x »

Yes, several times but it never seemed to help
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Try closing Rainmeter, then re-starting it.

"Right-Click" the Rainmeter icon in your system tray, select "Exit", then open up Rainmeter from your start menu, or run from the folder "c:\program files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe"

-Brian
alexaa7x

Post by alexaa7x »

I tried that and I also tried uninstalling and re installing but still nothing. Is it possible that it's something in my computer? I do have a few things I can't do on here, so it does have a tendency to act weird.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

alexaa7x wrote:Is it possible that it's something in my computer? I do have a few things I can't do on here, so it does have a tendency to act weird.
You would be best to sort out your computer "acting weird" problems first. Unload as many programs/applications as possible and then start loading them one-by-one and as soon as you start getting an "acting weird" problem describe it as best you can and then post the problem on one of the forums like Seven Forums or windows7Forums
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm guessing it is one of two problems.

1) You in fact don't have the folder with your .ini file in the right place.

You need to go to

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins

Create a folder there called MySkin or something. In that folder, put your .ini file.

Do a full refresh of Rainmeter, and it should show up in Manage.

2) You have "hide extensions of known file types" set to "on" in Folder Options, and although you think you are saving the file as MyFile.ini, it is really MyFile.ini.txt

Go to "organize" in any folder, then "folder and search options" and the "view" tab. Turn "hide extensions of known file types" off, and then check the name of your file.
alexaa7x

Post by alexaa7x »

jsmorley wrote: 2) You have "hide extensions of known file types" set to "on" in Folder Options, and although you think you are saving the file as MyFile.ini, it is really MyFile.ini.txt

Go to "organize" in any folder, then "folder and search options" and the "view" tab. Turn "hide extensions of known file types" off, and then check the name of your file.
That's exactly what it was! Thank you so much
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Glad to help.
Armonster

Post by Armonster »

You should include this in a FAQ or something.

Most helpful place would be in the 101, where it's showing you how to create your own skin. As this is where I first ran into this problem and searched for this solution. Thank you, btw.