It is currently May 10th, 2024, 2:53 pm

Problem with Dual Monitors

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Haced

Problem with Dual Monitors

Post by Haced »

I have two monitors, one being my laptops screen 15.5" (1600x900) and a 21.5" Alienware (1920x1080) that I have hooked up with an HDMI cable.
I have my Alienware set as my Primary monitor, so when it is plugged in fullscreen games maximize at full HD on that rather than my laptop's screen. Also my startbar etc is located over there.

Problem is when I disconnect my alienware the new main monitor becomes my laptop's screen and because of the resolution difference, many of my rainmeter skins become offset. Now I am wondering if there is anyway to always keep my Rainmeter skins on my Laptop so that they are constantly placed properly, without changing my primary monitor.

I tried setting the position of particular skins, but as I understand it from other threads, rainmeter treats dual monitors as one large monitor, and so I am not sure if I will accomplish anything.

Solutions I can think of:
- Change the res of Alienware to 1600x900 (not preferred)
- Have 2 layouts/themes if possible and alternate between the two (if possible??)
- Deal with it

Just wondering if anybody can think of a way this can be resolved. Thank you for your time and concern. ps. Rainmeter is awesome
Brian
Developer

Re: Problem with Dual Monitors

Post by Brian »

Check this out. I believe you can select which monitor you want for any skin you have displayed by "right-clicking" the Rainmeter icon in the system tray, then select the skin you want to keep on your laptop monitor, then select Settings->Position->Display monitor->(then @1 or @2, which ever is your laptop monitor).

Someone correct me if I am wrong since I do not have multiple monitors to test it!

-Brian
dragonmage
Developer

Re: Problem with Dual Monitors

Post by dragonmage »

I don't have a setup to test on either but I think setting them all to @2 should work. When both are active they should stay on the secondary. When the laptop is the only monitor I would hope all skins default to it. I am not positive if Rainmeter will change the @# if there is only one monitor, so just try it and see.