It is currently May 5th, 2024, 9:53 pm

Positioning bug in 2.2

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Vsect

Positioning bug in 2.2

Post by Vsect »

Hi there,

I've been using Rainmeter for quite some time now and was thrilled when today I saw that the 2.2 version was out and that it now keeps the skins on screen after 'Showing desktop'.

However, some skins still get hidden. I noticed that if a skin's position is set to 'Bottom' it will get hidden.

Is this a known issue? Could it be something wrong with the skin itself?
poiru
Developer

Re: Positioning bug in 2.2

Post by poiru »

Vsect wrote:Is this a known issue? Could it be something wrong with the skin itself?
This is by design (at least for now -- might change for 2.3).
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Vsect wrote: I noticed that if a skin's position is set to 'Bottom' it will get hidden.
This is niggling me as well. I have a bar that goes across the screen with links and drop down menus with the title lines of other skins that sit on the bar and need to be clicked to show their stuff. I have to set the bar at Position=Bottom so that it doesn't cover the other skins sitting on top of it. The bar skin disappears whenever I click on the 'Show Desktop' part of the taskbar and only comes back when I left click on the Rainmeter Icon which is a bit of a bore and doesn't seem to be affected by the Load Order.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Mordasius wrote:This is niggling me as well. I have a bar that goes across the screen with links and drop down menus with the title lines of other skins that sit on the bar and need to be clicked to show their stuff. I have to set the bar at Position=Bottom so that it doesn't cover the other skins sitting on top of it. The bar skin disappears whenever I click on the 'Show Desktop' part of the taskbar and only comes back when I left click on the Rainmeter Icon which is a bit of a bore and doesn't seem to be affected by the Load Order.
For this particular case, could you not use 'On Desktop'?
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

poiru wrote:For this particular case, could you not use 'On Desktop'?
Yes, having the top-bar set to 'On Desktop' with 'Load Order = 5' works some of the time but not always ( which is why it is a niggle rather than a major problem ).
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Mordasius wrote:Yes, having the top-bar set to 'On Desktop' with 'Load Order = 5' works some of the time but not always ( which is why it is a niggle rather than a major problem ).
Can you clarify the 'not always' bit?
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

poiru wrote:Can you clarify the 'not always' bit?
Well.. sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not. I've just hit the 'Show Desktop' spot five times without minimising Waterfox and it was not there, if I minimise Waterfox and and click the 'Show Desktop' spot it toggles the top-bar (set to 'On Desktop') on and off. Most peculiar.

No wait.. that toggling effect is there when it is set to 'On Bottom'..

I'm going to sleep now and I'm sure everything will be alright again in the morning.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Mordasius wrote:Well.. sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not. I've just hit the 'Show Desktop' spot five times without minimising Waterfox and it was not there, if I minimise Waterfox and and click the 'Show Desktop' spot it toggles the top-bar (set to 'On Desktop') on and off. Most peculiar.

No wait.. that toggling effect is there when it is set to 'On Bottom'..
Sounds like a bug. Could you send me a copy of your Rainmeter.ini?
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

poiru wrote:Sounds like a bug. Could you send me a copy of your Rainmeter.ini?
I took a look at Rainmeter.ini and found that the TopBar skin was reverting back to 'Bottom' even after I had set it to 'Desktop' because I had OnRefreshAction= !ZPos -1 in the [Rainmeter] section. Must have been left over from previous attempts to fix the problem which had actually made it worse. Anyway, it seems ok for now. Tnx.

That said, surely that toggling of a skin set to 'On Bottom' can't be a design feature many people would use or is it?
Vsect

Post by Vsect »

Mordasius wrote: That said, surely that toggling of a skin set to 'On Bottom' can't be a design feature many people would use or is it?
Agreed, 'On Bottom' doesn't seem any more adequate to hide on 'Show Desktop' than any other positioning on the list.

I see the point of keeping such a feature though, but maybe having a toggle for hiding the skin on 'Show Desktop' on its settings, like the 'Draggable' option, would be a better way of doing so.