It is currently May 4th, 2024, 1:18 pm

Gmail and encrypted password

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
suitome

Gmail and encrypted password

Post by suitome »

I'm making a skin for Gmail. I would like to know if it is possible to encrypt the password when I set up my account?

Thanks.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Gmail and encrypted password

Post by jsmorley »

ghost81 wrote:I'm making a skin for Gmail. I would like to know if it is possible to encrypt the password when I set up my account?

Thanks.
There really is no good way to encrypt a password for Gmail in a Rainmeter skin. Skins are plain text files. If your computer is in a place where others can get at it, you may want to consider not using a Gmail skin.
dazzer13

Post by dazzer13 »

Hi, it's not encrypted but there is a way to make the password useless outside of the Rainmeter skin using Google 2-step verification and having a application specific password.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMabEyrtPRg&t=2m13s
Thundordan

Post by Thundordan »

dazzer13 wrote:Hi, it's not encrypted but there is a way to make the password useless outside of the Rainmeter skin using Google 2-step verification and having a application specific password.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMabEyrtPRg&t=2m13s
I don't understand this application specific password crap.
You can't use it to login with a browser (makes sense). But:
It doesn't have any clue what application it belongs to. Which means, if somebody sees my "rainmeter" app specific password, they can't use it in their browser, but they can use it in any app that has access to gmail, to get access to my gmail.

So the only benefit is that they won't know my master password therefore they won't be able to change it and stop my own access to my gmail.
But they will still have 100% access to my emails and there's no way for me to know it.

At first I thought it's some sort of magic login that only works if(app=="Rainmeter" && itsMyOwnRainmeter)...

Man I wish Rainmeter had scripting support. I would code the hell out of everything. :)