It is currently September 18th, 2024, 1:29 pm

What files are compatable with this program?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
racingmainck

What files are compatable with this program?

Post by racingmainck »

i need to know
jsmorley
Developer

Re: What files are compatable with this program?

Post by jsmorley »

racingmainck wrote:i need to know
Rainmeter primarily uses text files in the standard "ini" format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file which (at the risk of over-simplifying) are parsed by the application to take actions based on measures and display results based on meters. The "settings" for the various types of meters and measures, along with some mouse and if/then/else actions and "bang" specialty commands, constitutes the Rainmeter "language" that is used to build skins.

In addition there are "include" files which are also in the "ini" format, but often with the file extension of .inc instead of .ini. These are pretty much identical to the .ini skin files, and in a sense are just an extension of them, primarily for sharing functionality between skins.

Images can be used in some meter types in Rainmeter, and standard image formats are supported. bmp/jpg/png/gif/ico are all supported in image and several other meter types.

The last major format is .lua "Lua" files, which are text files coded in the Lua programming language. These are used to add functionality in skins through this popular scripting language.

Skins are distributed in a .zip format with a file extension of .rmskin. This is to enable Rainmeter to quickly and simply install skins with a double-click on the file. You may also find skins, particularly older ones, that are just distributed as .zip or .rar files. These can also be used, but must be manually installed by un-archiving them and copying the files to the proper Rainmeter folders.

A good, in fact I would argue essential, place to start with wrapping your head around Rainmeter is here http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101
racingmainck

Post by racingmainck »

thank on the file types but am i able to use any other files (like for ex. .max or 3d) to make stuff with the .ini files; and how would i start a new skin?
Last edited by racingmainck on December 4th, 2011, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

racingmainck wrote:thank on the file types but am i able to use any other files (like for ex. .max or 3d) to make stuff with the .ini files?
No sir....
racingmainck

Post by racingmainck »

jsmorley wrote: No sir....
how would i start a new skin?
and i have just tryed to start trying to make skins...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

racingmainck wrote: how would i start a new skin?
and i have just tryed to start trying to make skins...
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101-SkinTutorials
racingmainck

Post by racingmainck »

im sorry i never tought of going there... :(