It is currently September 18th, 2024, 1:32 pm

problem with editing skin

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
joer001

problem with editing skin

Post by joer001 »

hi guys,

First i want to say what a great tool Rainmeter is. I really how to customize but the thing is the program does not let allow me to edit my skins. When I try to click on "Edit Skin," instead of opening the file for customizing, it opens another rainmeter window. I tried uninstall and re-install but it was still the same. I also tried changing the type of file but it still does not work. I am just wondering what is the reason that i cannot open the file from the application.

Thank you very much for future people answering my problem!
poiru
Developer

Re: problem with editing skin

Post by poiru »

Can you post a screenshot of this "another Rainmeter window"?

You might also want to check (and remove) the ConfigEditor= line under the [Rainmeter] section in your settings file, which is usually located at: %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\
joer001

Post by joer001 »

About the rainmeter window. It is just the normal rainmeter program when opened. IT keeps opening when i click on edit skin. And how i open the file %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\? I searched it from my start menu and it was just an notepad saying error and notices. There was no configedit.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

joer001 wrote:About the rainmeter window. It is just the normal rainmeter program when opened. IT keeps opening when i click on edit skin. And how i open the file %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\? I searched it from my start menu and it was just an notepad saying error and notices. There was no configedit.
That's weird. Are you using Rainmeter in English or some other language? Could you take a screenshot of the "Edit Skin" item you're clicking on?

%APPDATA%\Rainmeter\ is not a file, it's a folder. It contains your settings file (Rainmeter.ini).
joer001

Post by joer001 »

here it is. english rainmeter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

joer001 wrote:here it is. english rainmeter
Can you click on the "Edit settings" button at the bottom the Manage Rainmeter window. Does it work?

If not, please open the %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini file (just copy that, paste it into the Start menu search box, and press Enter), and check for your ConfigEditor= line.
joer001

Post by joer001 »

My edit setting is also not working. Basically, it has the same effect when i try click on edit skin button. I tried to open the ini file that you ask and i did two things about it:

i opened it from the search box of the start menu. It also had the same affect both the edit settings and the edit skin.

I made a shortcut to desktop and when i try to open it, nothing comes out. i did wait about minute or more however it does not open the file.

I think I am the only one who has the problem. very weird!
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Have you checked if that file even exists? Go to %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\ (paste in the address field of explorer) and check if it contains Rainmeter.ini.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

I suspect you've messed up your .ini extension association. First, open Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs -> Set Associations. Once there, make sure the .ini file extension is associated with Notepad (or the text editor of your choice). Then restart Rainmeter and everything should be working again.