It is currently September 18th, 2024, 1:35 pm

Zip File?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
techguy1001

Zip File?

Post by techguy1001 »

Hi,

Right now I'm running the portable version of rainmeter because I don't have the admin permissions on this computer; my dad (who's the admin) is away. The portable version is working for the short term, but I am struggling big-time installing any new skins, because Rainmeter nor windows recognizes the files. Is there a .ZIP file of the new rainmeter I can download? If not, is there a way I can install new skins with the portable version and no admin permissions?

Thanks
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Zip File?

Post by jsmorley »

I assume you are talking about .rmskin files that you download from somewhere. In ..Rainmeter\Addons\Rainstaller\ you will find Rainstaller.exe, which you can run and then browse to the .rmksin you downloaded to install it in Rainmeter.
techguy1001

Post by techguy1001 »

Alright, well, I got that far... but I needed admin permissions again. God **** is there any ******* way around this??? (basically no .exe files)
Last edited by techguy1001 on November 23rd, 2011, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

techguy1001 wrote:Alright, well, I got that far... but I needed admin permissions again. God **** is there any ******* way around this???
Those .rmskin files are really just renamed .zip files. You can rename them to .zip instead of .rmskin, unzip them, and manually put the files where they belong for Rainmeter following this:

http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101-AddingSkins

Skip the top part about "Installing automatically"...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Be aware that the guide I linked for you assumes a normal installation, so your "Skins" folder will not be under Documents, but in the main Rainmeter folder as you installed in portable mode.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

I'll be rewriting Rainstaller in the near future and I'll fix that admin permissions are needed with portable installs.