It is currently May 7th, 2024, 5:04 am

How to make a email sms-like script on the Illustro skin

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
applefruit

How to make a email sms-like script on the Illustro skin

Post by applefruit »

Hello,

mmh I have the rainmeter illustro skin and fine it comes with some widgets (or apps or scripts I don't know how they're called exactly) and I would like to know how i can add one. I would like to add a sort of Email Icon like on phones that displays a little number notification when I have new mail and when I click on it a small window opens (on the desktop like some pop up) with the message and I can reply to it. Just like SMS.
Is that possible?

I don't mind trying to do it myself but 1st I want to know if it's possible :)
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to make a email sms-like script on the Illustro skin

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Depending on what eMail service you're using (e.g. Google), getting info on new mail should work. Replying to a message will probably be impossible to do in pure Rainmeter. Perhaps there is an external application for writing eMail that you can start when clicking on the "New Mail" button.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
applefruit

Post by applefruit »

thanks for your reply :)

i'm mainly using Hotmail.

the thing is I don't know how to add scripts to the skin, the only options when I right-click the Rainmeter icon are "Edit" the current scripts like Google Search and the Network widget.
:(
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

I don't know anything about Hotmail ;) but I think there are skins out there that offer Hotmail support.

I don't think you can add extra options to the default right-click menu. What I meant was adding a left click action that lets you respond to your mail. I'd do something like this (but I have no idea how any of this could work):

1. Get your unread email from hotmail (see existing hotmail skins) and determine the sender of the first/last unread message.

2. If possible also determine the text of the message (otherwise you won't know to what you're responding)

3. When clicking on the email icon (LeftMouseUpAction=...) open an external email program like Tunderbird with command line options that let you compose and send a new email to the sender of your first/last unread message (I think Thunderbird has some command line options that cause it to open the "compose new mail" window only).
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

As far as I know, there is currently no way to make a skin that can deal with Hotmail. WebParser does not provide any way to support cookies or other authentication, and so the only sites it can parse are ones that are either public, or can be accessed with what is called "http authentication", where you pass the login information on the URL like "http://username:password@somesite.com". Gmail currently supports this in their atom feed for your email account, but other email systems like Yahoo and Hotmail do not.

As far as the larger question about how to add things to skin, or skin creating / editing in general, you might want to start with http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101
applefruit

Post by applefruit »

thanks for the link :)

too bad Hotmail is not compatible