It is currently May 6th, 2024, 9:41 pm

Newb installing a skin suite

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
smeagol

Newb installing a skin suite

Post by smeagol »

I apologize for the basic question, but either my system is preventing this from happening easily, or I'm an idiot.

I install rainmeter which comes with the illustro theme. I want to download and install the enigma theme so, I click the download button for enigma, it then downloads a zip file to my PC. I've tried locating the zip file in my "downloads" folder and I've also tried locating it in my "documents/rainmeter/skins" folder.

I click on rainstaller.cfg and get a "windows can't open this file" error.

What am I missing?
~Faradey~

Re: Newb installing a skin suite

Post by ~Faradey~ »

smeagol wrote:
What am I missing?
A file you're trying to install should be in .rmskin format, in case you have it downloaded in .zip format, just edit file extension, for example:
You have:
Enigma3.1.zip

rename it to:
Enigma3.1.rmskin

Then run it and follow instructions

Good Luck! :welcome:
smeagol

Post by smeagol »

Thanks Faradey. I'm operating in Windows 7... I used to know how to change an extension... I don't know how to do that anymore because extensions don't show up as being part of the file name in windows explorer... is there a setting I need to change?

The downloaded file folder is called Enigma3.1.zip. Are you saying that I need to change the name of that folder? Or is there an application somewhere called Enigma3.1 that I am just not finding?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

smeagol wrote:Thanks Faradey. I'm operating in Windows 7... I used to know how to change an extension... I don't know how to do that anymore because extensions don't show up as being part of the file name in windows explorer... is there a setting I need to change?

The downloaded file folder is called Enigma3.1.zip. Are you saying that I need to change the name of that folder? Or is there an application somewhere called Enigma3.1 that I am just not finding?
You need to rename Enigma3.1.zip to Enigma.3.1.rmskin and then simply double-click to install.
smeagol

Post by smeagol »

Ok, thanks. I did have to change an option in Windows Explorer under Organize/Folder and Search Options/View. I deselected "hide extensions for known file types" which made it simple for me to then change the extension from .zip to .rmskin.