It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 11:00 am

New forum style

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
Kaelri
Developer

Re: New forum style

Post by Kaelri »

Excellent! Really looks great now.

I can sympathize with some of smurfier's points - the buttons are a bit small, and the layout follows many of phpBB's strange conventions. But these are things we can tweak as we go along. I'd say the overall design is solid.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Kaelri wrote:Excellent! Really looks great now.

I can sympathize with some of smurfier's points - the buttons are a bit small, and the layout follows many of phpBB's strange conventions. But these are things we can tweak as we go along. I'd say the overall design is solid.
I added a little drop shadow, hit shift-f5 to be sure you see it. Is that ok?
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

It's beautiful. I've come to appreciate this new style as it emphasizes each forum's and topic's status. That and it's so very clean looking.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

smurfier wrote:It's beautiful. I've come to appreciate this new style as it emphasizes each forum's and topic's status. That and it's so very clean looking.
Yeah, new posts certainly jump out at you. That is the advantage to the plainness of things you have already read.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Nice job, jsmorley!

While I'm thankful I'll be able to stick with prosilver, Firefly Serenity is an attractive option and will make for a sleek new default. As was mentioned, some of the buttons are just a bit too small and, personally, I'm not sure how I feel about so much use of the salmony/pink color (although that may be my extreme displeasure with the new GReader and Gmail designs seeping out, lol). Those are very minor quibbles, though. Great work, again.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I made the Edit and Quote buttons a bit bigger, and the Delete button easier to see when viewing posts.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote:I made the Edit and Quote buttons a bit bigger, and the Delete button easier to see when viewing posts.
That's a definite improvement on what is already a really good style. Is there any way to make the widescreen background black to reduce the glare and allow us to focus on the forum posts?
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

The "report this post" button is a bit teeny tiny. Could you possibly make it a bit wider maybe?

The darker background sure does make the main part of the forum pop out though I was enjoying the open feeling of the lighter color.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I darkened it up a tad. I don't want to go with black or really dark and lose the drop shadow effect.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

jsmorley wrote:I darkened it up a tad. I don't want to go with black or really dark and lose the drop shadow effect.
That's just about right IMHO. The important stuff stands out and we lose all the glare. Now getting on to really pin-ick-ity stuff, I think the post time and date get lost down in the bottom left. How about putting that up in the top right where you see it when you start reading the post and the 'QUOTE' 'EDIT' buttons (which are now a good size) down in the bottom right which is where you need them when you've done reading the post and want to reply / edit?