It is currently September 14th, 2024, 10:07 pm

Help installing skins

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
cls33

Help installing skins

Post by cls33 »

I'm new to rainmeter and I'm having trouble installing some skins. I've installed several successfully by unziping them into the rainmeter->skins folder under "documents", however many skins I'm trying to install aren't working correctly.

When I load them, they're either not appearing on my desktop at all, or they appear in very upper left corner as a jumble of text without being styled or laid out properly.

For example, this is happening with the recommended "Enigma" skin.

What am I missing?
Kaelri
Developer

Re: Help installing skins

Post by Kaelri »

Skins that are in the ".rmskin" format do not need to be unzipped manually. You should be able to double-click on the file to start the automatic installer. (If this isn't working, you can either reinstall Rainmeter to reestablish the file association, or run "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\Rainstaller\Rainstaller.exe" to select a .rmskin file manually.)

See here for more. :)
cls33

Post by cls33 »

.rmskin files are installing just fine.

But the skins I'm having issues with aren't in the rmskin format, they're zip files...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Assuming you have done what is here: http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101-AddingSkins then the skins should work fine. What you are seeing with "everything in the top left corner" is normal behavior when you load skins for the first time (unless it is loaded by a "theme" provided by the author). You load a skin, it will be at 0,0 (top left) and then you drag it where you want it. Rainmeter will remember where you put it from then on.
cls33

Post by cls33 »

The placement isn't the issue exactly, the real problem is that some of these skins are loading "unstyled" They're not laid out or colored correctly.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

cls33 wrote:.rmskin files are installing just fine.

But the skins I'm having issues with aren't in the rmskin format, they're zip files...
I assumed you were manually unzipping .rmskin files because you mentioned Enigma, which is distributed as a .rmskin. Is this happening even with skins that you've installed automatically?
cls33

Post by cls33 »

No, rmskin files are installing fine.

I figured out the enigma issue, for some odd reason Opera was downloading the rmskin file as a .zip, so I thought it was a .zip distribution. Downloading with IE I was able to get the rmskin file and install successfully.