sgtevmckay

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by sgtevmckay »

Apologies :(
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

unless you are responsible for the 20 different standard of string / char variables in the windows API, you have nothing to apologize for :P
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

:roll: Uhmmmmm

I ain't ad'mitten to nutt'in :lol:
sublimnl

Post by sublimnl »

nvme wrote:
Also are you guys using any 3rd party software to control your wireless adapter ? i know a lot of people use the Intel Pro Wireless software that comes with their adapter. If you are using that then Native Wifi is disabled and you will get that error for sure in such a case.
I am using the default windows WiFi applet. I detest all other applets!
sublimnl

Post by sublimnl »

nvme wrote:@sgt, subliml : can you guys download and test this new build. I added some error codes that may help me determine why you are getting these errors. Also added a new variable that controls the WLAN API version, however it only refers to Vista so i doubt it will fix anything.

If you do get an error, it should have a code at the end, if you can post that here that would be great. It should say "Unable to open WLAN API Handle! (err code: XYZ)"
WifiStatus_V1.4.rar
Weird...it's working now! I had to completely exit rainmeter and re-launch. Before I was just closing the WiFi skin, replacing the files, refreshing all, then re-mounting the skin. I guess that is not good enough for Rainmeter to completely re-initialize the new DLL...weird.

EDIT: By the way, if I am not connected to any network then it says "Available Networks: 0". This doesn't really matter to me for my purposes, but just thought I would let you know.

EDIT2: Argh! Now I am getting the original error message again. WTF?!
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

Okay guys try this new build, hopefully it will give me some more information about the error.
Also, DO NOT use any compatibility crap, this should not require anything other than what Win7 already supports.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Here you go sir.

I will be out for a few hours as my contractee just called and wants a job done this evening, so I will catch any notes you have later

Oh and the compatibility things been off fir the day :D
sublimnl

Post by sublimnl »

OK, it is strange behavior now. I still do not get ANY error codes, just the same "Unable to open WLAN API Handle!" error I have always gotten. On a fresh start of Rainmeter it works, but if I refresh all then I can only do that twice. It starts failing on the 3rd refresh EVERY time and it seems I can only get it working again after shutting down Rainmeter completely and then re-launching it.
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

voila, that error code explains it. the reason refreshes are killing it in Windows 7 is because for some reason in Windows 7 the API limits how many Wifi 'handles' each process is allowed. If you take too many, you have to restart the Rainmeter process to get a new one. However, this shouldn't be happening because before i create a new handle, i always release the old one. Ill have to digg for a different way to open and close handles now, which may take time, so ill leave that for tomorrow cause its friday :). Thanks for the help with testing, ill get a new build in by tomorrow.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Hello Sir

I can confirmed that the error in question can be recreated in Vista 32bit.

Also I ran a simple test of just grabbing my laptop and walking away from the access point.
The Strength meter adjusts appropriately.

I can now also confirm that The connection language aforementioned as I was getting just out of range, I received messages to the effect of Connecting, and others.

(Bare with me first sip of coffee moment here)

After re-running simulations in both Vista and 7. I can confirm that the crash does take place on the 3 refresh.

I just ran the skin for a straight 12 hour, and I have had no issues. The measure are still correct and the skin operable at this time.
Apparently updates are not affected

Update/edit:
I also confirmed that the measures will be returned from USB WiFi :D
I used a Netgear 802.11 n USB and software.
The skin worked just fine :D