It is currently June 28th, 2024, 11:46 pm

New Wifi Status Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
jsmorley
Developer

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by jsmorley »

I know that Windows Seven has done a lot of work to improve the functionality of both USB and WiFi over what was in XP and even Vista. It's possible that you need to make a slightly different API call on Seven, or some parameters or return values have changed from XP/Vista.

I would do some poking on MSDN to see if there are changes to the WiFi API's before conclusion jumping to "Windows 7 is broke". Could be that the plugin code needs to detect the Windows version and do some if/then/else'ing...
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

Well when i was using the API i kept double checking for which versions of windows are supported for each function/struct/type. There is no mention of Windows 7 in there whatsoever, it just says Vista and newer for everything. I think they may release an updated API once win7 goes public. Meanwhile, let's confirm this issue with Windows 7 32bit, and Vista 64bit also needs to be checked.

EDIT:
@ subliminl : are you using the testing skin that i attached in the RARchive ?
@ sgt : did you say you had the plugin working initially ? or has it always just said "unable to open API handle?"
also are you guys connected to a wifi network when you get this error ?
Last edited by nvme on June 26th, 2009, 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

jsmorley wrote:I know that Windows Seven has done a lot of work to improve the functionality of both USB and WiFi over what was in XP and even Vista. It's possible that you need to make a slightly different API call on Seven, or some parameters or return values have changed from XP/Vista.

I would do some poking on MSDN to see if there are changes to the WiFi API's before conclusion jumping to "Windows 7 is broke". Could be that the plugin code needs to detect the Windows version and do some if/then/else'ing...
Agreed
I have not the time to fish around MSDN, but have dropped an e-mail to Lake and Jeremy at MSDN.
Maybe the know something off the tops of their heads.
Well when i was using the API i kept double checking for which versions of windows are supported for each function/struct/type. There is no mention of Windows 7 in there whatsoever, it just says Vista and newer for everything. I think they may release an updated API once win7 goes public. Meanwhile, let's confirm this issue with Windows 7 32bit, and Vista 64bit also needs to be checked.
Unfortunately the Vista 64 bit is out of my capabilities, so hopefully another member can come forward on this :oops: :geek:
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

nvme wrote: @ sgt : did you say you had the plugin working initially ? or has it always just said "unable to open API handle?"
Correct;
The skin and dll, works initially, updates work fine.
There are some Rainmeter issues with Areo that are well documented.
But after a random number of "Refresh" , not updates.
The system returns the aforementioned error.

The DeBug log lists that a connection with the API could not be established.

I am unfortunately not in Windows 7 at this time, but I will get a copy of the debug log to you in the next couple of days.
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

okay so I am looking for a solution to these two issues right now:
Windows 7 x64 - Windows error stating "Connection to API terminated, cannot be refreshed". Results from refreshing the skin.

Windows 7 x32 - Rainmeter error stating "Unable to open API handle". This is actually in my Initialize() function, and happens when the hClient struct cannot be initialized, and without this struct the plugin cannot continue. I'll look at the API again and see if i missed something about windows 7.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ok the Debug log is as follows:

Code: Select all

DEBUG: (00:05:02.580) Refreshing (Name: "SplicerPack\WiFi" Ini: "Wifi_test_skin.ini")
DEBUG: (00:05:13.172) Refreshing (Name: "SplicerPack\WiFi" Ini: "Wifi_test_skin.ini")
DEBUG: (00:05:19.350) Refreshing (Name: "SplicerPack\WiFi" Ini: "Wifi_test_skin.ini")
This is with the Windows XP Sp2 Compatibility turned off.
Rainmeter is being run with Admin Privies.

The Rainmeter file is placed in the Program Files(x86)

Ok, something else that may be revealing

I am using the latest Untested release. I am not using the Rainmeter download specifically listed as 64bit!

I have hit some confusion on the Rainmeter 64 bit Install.
I need to know if this version installs Directly to theh Program File (which is 64 bit controlled), or if I can install it to say c:/Rainmeter?

If someone can jump in here and let me know, I will get started on the Rainmeter 64bit :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know where Windows places their log file, I am having a hell-a-va time finding it. I am wondering if Windows is logging this error on it's side?
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

As per your request

I attempted a straight forward refresh and I get the following:

Please note that this time, I do get a partial reading !?!!

I am getting strength of connection and the current SSID
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Here are the things that i was not able to test fully:
-Detection of 802.11a/n bands
-Connections with WPA_Enterprise security
-Connection status (When you are connecting to a network, next to the SSID you should get either 'connecting...' or 'authorizing...' )
The following is confirmed:
detection of: a/b/g/n
On XP Home, XP Pro, Vista 32, and 7 64

Connected to Enterprise WPA-2: confirmed in Vista 32bit, XP Home

Connection Status: unconfirmed at this time
Forgot to check :oops:
sublimnl

Post by sublimnl »

nvme wrote:@ subliminl : are you using the testing skin that i attached in the RARchive ?
yes I am. BTW, I can definitely say that this is not UAC related as I have it disabled completely. If you need me to do anything to help in troubleshooting this issue just let me know!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Found the log for the latest Meter crash:

This what windows has to say:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="16384">7036</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>4</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-26T20:23:15.918321400Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1381</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="548" ThreadID="3608" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>Seven</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="param1">Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support</Data> 
  <Data Name="param2">stopped</Data> 
  <Binary>770065007200630070006C0073007500700070006F00720074002F0031000000</Binary> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>
This is what the debug log has to say:

DEBUG: (00:00:00.000) Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rainmeter\
DEBUG: (00:00:00.000) IniFile: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
DEBUG: (00:00:00.000) SkinPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rainmeter\Skins\
DEBUG: (00:00:00.000) PluginPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rainmeter\Plugins\
DEBUG: (00:00:00.125) Refreshing (Name: "SplicerPack\WiFi" Ini: "Wifi_test_skin.ini")
DEBUG: (00:00:00.203) Initialization successful.
DEBUG: (00:00:04.883) Refreshing (Name: "SplicerPack\WiFi" Ini: "Wifi_test_skin.ini")
DEBUG: (00:00:09.626) Refreshing (Name: "SplicerPack\WiFi" Ini: "Wifi_test_skin.ini")
DEBUG: (00:00:14.446) Refreshing (Name: "SplicerPack\WiFi" Ini: "Wifi_test_skin.ini")
Event time match, but unsure if realted